Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I don't think the MB/MBPs apply. You need to purchase a centrino duo notebook and the apple notebooks do not use that platform.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
tipdrill407 said:
I don't think the MB/MBPs apply. You need to purchase a centrino duo notebook and the apple notebooks do not use that platform.
That would be incorrect. Both MB and MBP use the Napa mobile chipset, which is the current version of the "Centrino" platform.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Haha I was just about to put the form into an envelope and mail it, and then I realized I didn't buy it between 7/5/06 and now, so I won't qualify regardless.

Oh well, I hope the rest of you guys can get it.:)

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
daveL said:
That would be incorrect. Both MB and MBP use the Napa mobile chipset, which is the current version of the "Centrino" platform.

Both the MB and MBP use their own Airport express cards. In order to be part of the Centrino Platform the notebook must use the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 card.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I feel crazy. :eek: At first I thought the backpack looked hideous, then all of a sudden I wanted it. Hah. I think it'd be neat to have, but I really don't think I'd wear it out in public. :D

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
tipdrill407 said:
Both the MB and MBP use their own Airport express cards. In order to be part of the Centrino Platform the notebook must use the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 card.
nope. those are just intel 3945's that apple labels as airport express to make it appeal to people familiar with the airport name.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
wmmk said:
nope. those are just intel 3945's that apple labels as airport express to make it appeal to people familiar with the airport name.
Where is that documented? Not doubting you, just wanted to see this for myself and learn more about the internals.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
kgarner said:
Where is that documented? Not doubting you, just wanted to see this for myself and learn more about the internals.
And exactly why would Apple decide not to use the perfectly good WiFi capabilities integrated into the Napa chipset, and then add the cost, power drain and space required for a separate WiFi chip? In a laptop, no less.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
wmmk said:

Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro are NOT Centrino Duo compliant as to be Centrino Duo compliant, a notebook needs a Intel Core Duo Processor (which the Macbook/Pro has), Mobile Intel 945 Chipset Family (which the Macbook/Pro has) and an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Card (which the Macbook/Pro does not have). http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/duo/index.htm The Macbook/Pro has an Atheros Wireless Network card that has been rebranded as Airport Extreme. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq1

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
kgarner said:
i forget where i saw this, but anyway, i was right about the 'airpoprt extreme' not really being an airport extreme, but it's actually an atheros card, not an intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.