Intel's Mac Mini Look-Alike

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wired Magazine is reporting that a new Wintel prototype that copies the Mac Mini design is due out this week.

Working prototypes of the Mac mini look-alike running Microsoft Windows and based on Intel's Pentium M CPU have already been built by Taiwan-based PC maker AOpen, according to two sources in Taiwan's PC manufacturing industry who have seen them.
According to the article, the prototype was built at the request of Intel and will be unveiled at the Computex trade show which starts on May 31st.

Wired comments that several companies already offer similar PCs but feels that the Mini offers a more attractive package at a lower cost.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Macrumors said:

Wired Magazine is reporting that a new Wintel prototype that copies the Mac Mini design is due out this week.
Let's see if it's really a copy, or simply another small form factor PC - something that's been around LONG before Mac Minis ever were...

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
PCMacUser said:
Let's see if it's really a copy, or simply another small form factor PC - something that's been around LONG before Mac Minis ever were...
Yet after the Cube came out...history repeating itself over gain.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
PCMacUser said:
yeah, who cares - there's thousands of different designs of funny/weird/flashy/whatever pc's on the out there. The only reason this one is getting attenton is because it claims to be copying the mini.

A

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz
How many threads have there been on companies trying to out-do Apple design!? It almost never even looks nearly as good as the Apple version, and if it does, it's usually a direct copy of the Apple product, and in line for legal proceedings!
Companies should stop trying to copy Apple, hire some good product designers, and come up with beautiful designs for themselves!
dejo said:
I wonder if this is the same small-factor PC they showed off in early March:

Intel's concept PC apes Apple
If it is, they have managed to make it look damn ugly!
Good spot dejo.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
"The PC is more powerful and popular than Apple systems because of its open architecture -- you can upgrade it. When the PC gets similar to the Mac mini, you have no space to upgrade, and you will lose this advantage," he said.
does he mean open to spyware, viruses & other siht?

i think Confucius has said this already before, "When the PC gets similar to the Mac mini, you have no space to upgrade..." what a very wise guy this ken huang is. :cool:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
why does everyone try and copy apple, why doesn't apple get their lawyers on top of these things and not sue people over rumors. :p ;) :rolleyes:

Paul O'Keefe

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
I think it's great that computer manufactures will be looking at smaller form factors... that are hopefully quite too.

Seriously, it's a good thing for the PC world to embrace the mini paradigm. PCs will become true appliances now, like toasters, plones, kettles. If they do become more disposable, at least now they won't use up as much materials.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
taeclee99 said:
The only "mini" pc I would ever get it this one: The i8600 from Shuttle.
Yikes, that looks horrible compared to a Mini and has to be what, 2 times the size and 3 times the weight?

I'm not worried in the least about these copycats. We've seen it over and over with the iPod - supposed "iPod Killers" keep getting released, yet look who always ends up on top. I'm sure this will be similar - no one will be able to better Apple's creation.

It's cool to know they're copying the Mini design though - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :cool:

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
~Shard~ said:
Yikes, that looks horrible compared to a Mini and has to be what, 2 times the size and 3 times the weight?
Trade-off with desktop [read: cheaper] components & upgradeability.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
I'm afraid Intel copying Apple is like a fat girl doing ballet - making the same moves does not mean you have the same style. :cool:

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
mvc said:
I'm afraid Intel copying Apple is like a fat girl doing ballet - making the same moves does not mean you have the same style. :cool:
Truer words have never been spoken in this forum.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
mvc said:
ROTFLMFAO...so true so true...

Great analogy mvc...

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
mvc said:
you just made my whole day :D

i think they are saying its a mini copy the publicity it will get for being a mini copy, i bet it is just a mini itx pc