Intel's Upcoming Coffee Lake Processors Up to 30% Faster Than Kaby Lake Chips Coming to Mac Notebooks

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Hate to break it to you: they're already outdated.
What the hell, I am running on a early 2011 MBP and still happy after the SSD upgrade. All the GHZ, GB etc will become less and less important as only few people actual need them. Current hardware perfectly meets current demand. Good thing about this will be that prices will have top drop eventually (even Apple's prices).
PS: don't get me started about the touch-bar......

Reactions: rhett7660

lysingur

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
I am getting this from actual hardware reviews.
You don't even have the courtesy of providing a link to the review(s) on which your whole thesis is based? o_O

The current version of standard is pretty much irrelevant of there are no actual chips that support it.
Again, just like you can't cough up a link even if your life depends on it, you're too lazy to do your own research on Bluetooth as well. No actual chipset? There are already several. One by Qualcomm and the other by MediaTek. Not saying they can be directly deployed in MBP by Apple but your statement that there "are no actual chips" is just plain wrong.
[doublepost=1496409008][/doublepost]
What the hell, I am running on a early 2011 MBP and still happy after the SSD upgrade. All the GHZ, GB etc will become less and less important as only few people actual need them. Current hardware perfectly meets current demand. Good thing about this will be that prices will have top drop eventually (even Apple's prices).
What the hell? Just because it meets your demand doesn't mean it's not outdated to current technology. Is it that difficult to understand?

Last edited:
Reactions: No. 44

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
You don't even have the courtesy of providing a link to the review(s) to which your whole thesis is based? o_O

Again, like you can't cough up a link when asked, you're too lazy to do your own research on Bluetooth as well. No actual chipset? There are already several. One by Qualcomm and the other by MediaTek. Not saying they can be directly deployed in MBP by Apple but your statement that there "are no actual chips" is just plain wrong.
[doublepost=1496409008][/doublepost]
What the hell? Just because it meets your demand doesn't mean it's not outdated to current technology. Is it that difficult to understand?
Nobody will give a ****, besides tech-savvy nerds and professionals that really need it. What is so difficult to understand about this? Point is, if we don't care, prices will drop.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
'current' technology in computer world isn't the same thing as bleeding-edge technology..
for all intents&purposes, if your computer runs up-to-date software well, the computer is current technology.

idk, seems like you place far too much importance on hardware and very little to no importance on using the software.. maybe you should flip that (imo)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You and me both! Still rocking my 2011 with an upgraded SSD and RAM. All good on this front. I don't do a lot of video on it, pictures, email, web, and notes.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It can't be answered definitively, because the things are not very predictable. For the last few years, the performance increases were rather modest. But just the other day Intel has released a press statement where they say that their upcoming CPUs will be 30% faster than Kaby Lake, and thats on a general-purpose benchmark.
No, it said UP TO 30%. Up to doesn't mean 30% all the time. It may, in fact, only mean under very special circumstances. That is why a 2012 CPU is hardly out of date. Intel has been putting out dud after dud after dud. What is not up to par on most Macs (or at least arguably the desktops) are their GPUs, but that's been an issue for a long time (at least since you could buy a Mac Pro with an upgradeable card).

Now whether a given Mac is actually worth its asking price probably depends on whom you ask. I'm convinced a SSD upgrade to my 2012 Mac Mini server would likely make it useful for years to come assuming I don't want to try to run modern games on it. I doubt they will offer a quality upgrade to the line any time soon anyway given the JOKE that the last Mac Mini update was (no more quad-cores or i7s or dual drive bays).

Reactions: lysingur

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
No, it said UP TO 30%. Up to doesn't mean 30% all the time. It may, in fact, only mean under very special circumstances.
They said that they observe performance increases of "more than 30 percent" on SYSmark. That is a fairly strong statement.

That is why a 2012 CPU is hardly out of date. Intel has been putting out dud after dud after dud.
There is no doubt that the CPU landscape has been stagnating, but I'd not call them "duds". Kaby Lake is much more efficient than the same Skylake and it can change its power states way quicker, meaning better burst performance and improved response times. The sustained performance didn't go up that much though, that is a fact. At the same time, its not like there eis anything better on the market right now, so Intel is certainly not alone with the stagnation issue (Zen is nice, but its achievements is more or less due to AMD's trying to replicate in that or other degree the Core architecture).

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
How in the world are they getting 30% improvement (unless only in very specific scenarios)? Wouldn't that be the biggest processor performance leap in like a decade?
Maybe they meant to say something like ‘a 30% delay’ ;-)