Interactive Flash - how much for something like this?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by j7painter, Oct 10, 2010.

1. j7painter macrumors newbie

Hi, newb here, so I hope I am posting in the right spot. My company is looking to do something like this, can anyone give me an idea of what kind of price range I can expect? http://www.ultiexperience.com/smile

Thank you!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

$20 - $10,000.

Too many variables to narrow it any further.

3. j7painter thread starter macrumors newbie

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You should figure out your budget first. What can you afford to get the message you want? What's it worth to you? Once you figure that out you can solicit bids.

You also have to figure out how much of it is going to be internal. Are you going to send a link to the above website and say "we want something exactly like that", or are you willing to hire out for the creative? Most reputable studios are going to want to take your ideas/problem and come up with their own solution. Else, if you just want someone to copy whats at that link... well, good luck with that.

But, just so you know. That Flash piece probably had several people working on it. A copy writer, a designer, a Flash developer, a project manager, client services, Oh, and someone to do the voice over. Paying all of those people is expensive. You might get lucky and find someone who can fill all of those shoes for less money, but it's will take a lot longer to produce.

And in my personal opinion, I really didn't think it was that good. It goes on and on and on... and it actually gets kind of silly/boring. I couldn't make it all the way through because of the dialog. Though, the graphics were done pretty well even if they were a bit overwrought. It draws too much attention to itself and begins to obscure the message.

I have one more thing to add that may give you a frame of reference. Back in the dot.com Flash boom days (early 2000), I used to get requests to do these kinds of animations. The last one I did (before the implosion) that was sort of like this, the studio who hired me paid me $8000 to do the animation. They provided all of the graphics in layered Photoshop/Illustrator files. I also got a storyboard to work from. The only decisions I had to make was how to move things and what kind of type transitions to do... and of course, I had to code everything in Flash. Also on the team was the lead designer, a producer, hired voice-over, and a UI experience designer. And of course, there was the owner/partners that ran the studio as well as other employees who worked there. I would guess that they billed the client around $80-$100k for the project. Of course, that was back in the boom of the internet when people were throwing money at web projects and Flash was in high demand.

5. j7painter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the detailed answer THX1139, it definitely gives us a frame of reference to start with.