interarchy FTP problem, or server?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by macmesser, Sep 17, 2015.

  1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Location:
    Long Island, NY USA
    #1
    We have a website hosted on a VPS, with thousands of largish images, which I have been maintaining with Interarchy via a directory mirror from my desktop. Recently I've encountered a problem when trying to delete image files from the server with Interarchy 10.0.5 ftp client. Selected files are not deleted and Interarchy gives a server error 550 message for each file. Up until now this has worked fine so I'm wondering if the problem could be some kind of server access blocking. Since the directory was mirrored with Interarchy, it's possible Interarchy itself is preventing deletion because I am working in this case from a simple directory listing. VPS support deleted the files for me, but I'd like to know why this is happening. BTW, just remembered that the problem first manifested when I tried to run a mirror and it quit with a case mismatch error on a misnamed file which needed to be deleted. I had deleted prior from my source directory. File had been misnamed but was close to (starting characters identical) the correctly named file in source. If this is the reason it would be a bug in Interarchy so I think another explanation is likely.

    Any insights appreciated.

    P S- Would also appreciate recommendations for alternate (preferably free) ftp client, which support told me to try.
     
  2. ocabj macrumors 6502a

    ocabj

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2009
    #2
    Error 550 is typically a permission problem, either on the filesystem itself, or the FTP server (assuming it does ACLs).

    Are you using the same account that was used by Interarchy to upload the images to delete the images?

    Is this your VPS? You don't have root access on it?
     
  3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Location:
    Long Island, NY USA
    #3
    Thanks for reply. Same login was used and we do have root access. Eventually started getting more information with the error: file or directory not found. After requesting help from server support they sent me the errors they were getting via email. I had sent them a list of files to delete which they couldn't find. They finally sent me a list and asked "are these the ones?" It turned out that I was using an umlaut-u or ü in those filenames, which were images of work by a German artist. Here's what server support was seeing:

    root@server1 [/home/dldollt/public_html/var/files/1/exim/backup/images]# ls -lah | grep DHG153
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dldollt dldollt 78K Sep 16 17:04 DHG153_1-Elvis-Presley-Gu\314\210nzel-porcelain-art-doll.jpg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dldollt dldollt 201K Aug 31 18:04 DHG153_2-Elvis-Presley-Gu\314\210nzel-porcelain-art-doll.jpg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dldollt dldollt 756K Aug 31 18:04 DHG153_3-Elvis-Presley-Gu\314\210nzel-porcelain-art-doll.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dldollt dldollt 75K Aug 31 18:04 DHG153_4-Elvis-Presley-Gu\314\210nzel-porcelain-art-doll.jpg

    This explains the "550 -file or directory not found" message I was getting, and why I couldn't delete the files. Somehow the server was replacing ü (which is created by typing option+u and then "u") with "u\314\210". It might be some kind of weird encoding thing. I will never use a diacritical in a file name again. I should have known better and probably did but these slipped in. Others just spell the artists name with a plain "u," as I should have.
     

Share This Page