Interchangeable band

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by akkkmed, Apr 7, 2015.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Simple question - if I buy the sport watch, can I remove the watch from the band to use third party bands? Or is the sport model different and it's fused to the rubber band somehow?

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The same band connector is used on all three models. Any band will work with any watch.

3. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

all 38 models of the Apple Watch can interchange band with either Apple bands or 3rd party options.

5. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect, I just wanted to check. Thanks everyone :cool:

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

To be pedantic - while several third party options have been announced, there hasn't been any info from Apple as to whether or not they will attempt to limit third party bands in any way.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Let us know if you find any good 3rd party options. Looking for bands not offered by Apple too. Might consider getting an adapter to use any watch band.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

How would they limit 3rd party bands? It's extremely doubtful you could get some sort of legal protection/design patent just for a metal groove.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You can get patents for just about anything. I would imagine their connector has several patents. The question is whether or not they will try to enforce them, license them as part of an official "Made for Apple Watch" program, or ignore them.

10. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It's interchangeable while it's clean. We'll have to see if it's removable (without destroying it) after a few months of wearing it, with sweat, soapy water, dust, etc. cementing it in with solid/gooey deposits.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Wrong, the modern buckle can't be used on a 42mm case.

12. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

13. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You must have disgusting arms...

14. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Why does the Sport Watch look like it doesn't have that metal band to connect the separate straps to? The SS looks much different design wise than the Aluminum. But that's just from me looking at Apple.com

15. Runt888, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

Runt888 macrumors 6502a

None of the watches have a metal band. The watch body has grooves on both sides to slide the bands into.

See http://www.apple.com/watch/, the second image down, for a good shot of it on both the sport and edition watches.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The "metal band" you're seeing is part of the strap itself. The metal straps have those bands. The non metal straps (sport band and leather loop) do not have those.

Not all bands come in both watch sizes, some only come for the 42mm watches. However, all band styles fit with all watch styles as long as the sizes are compatible.

17. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Apple can't stop 3rd party bands. It is impossible to prevent Chinese imports.

18. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

No, but it is possible to prevent legal sales through mainstream channels (i.e., amazon).

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Undoubtedly yes, but what I mean is it's doubtful you can protect what is essentially just a particular profile of groove. Patents require that an invention be an actual invention and that it is a novel item, IE not a rehash of something existing. Amongst such things.

20. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I don't think this is going to be an issue. I've been wearing a Pebble Steel DAILY since it launched. I wear it to bed. I wear it in the shower. I wear it always. After having lost 40 lbs, I had to remove a link. It slid right out, and it isn't Apple's elegant link bracelet, either. It's a traditional band that requires a jeweler's tool. I think you're underestimating the amount of thought and design Apple has put into the watch.

21. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

You mean, you did something like this?

[​IMG]

Changing links on a bracelet would not be affected by the issue I'm describing, because the links are constantly jiggling, and the contact area where the gunk might be accumulating is minimal.

#⌚️'s channels, on the contrary, will be stationary, and have plenty of stationary contact area where deposits can accumulate for months.

22. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

My watch isn't loose enough to jiggle. You don't like the Apple Watch? Fine. Don't buy one. But why do you keep repeating this nonsense?

23. johnnilcru macrumors member

johnnilcru

I am certain that 3rd party iWatch bands would be available soon. I probed around a little and found out that several companies are already working on them: plastic, metal, silicone and, the one I look forward to, leather.
    I'll try to make a thread regrouping all the watch-band makers around as soon as I have enough free time.

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Exactly. It's also possible that using unapproved watch bands could void the warranty somehow.

25. johnnilcru macrumors member

johnnilcru

I doubt they would be able to regulate that. The watchbands are pretty easy to replace.

For e.g. let's say I damaged my watch because of a faulty 3rd party band. I merely have to replace the band with the original one I bought it in when I present it for repairs.