Interchangeable parts

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Danwilderspin, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Danwilderspin macrumors newbie

Hi I have two iMacs a 7,1 and a 8,1 both 24. I think the 8,1 might be on its way out and my 7,1 has the yellow screen so I was wondering if the screens ( and odd) could be interchanged between the two?

Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The dreaded yellow screen, I know it well. The displays should be interchangeable, but since Apple is known for subtle design changes you should check iFixit's teardowns to be sure. I would bet they could be swapped.

3. Danwilderspin thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Danwilderspin thread starter macrumors newbie

oh dear oh dear I am in a real spot of bother now...

I went ahead and swapped over the screens ( and while at it the dvd drive too as the 2008 was a bit better)

so first of all I put back together the 'bad' mac (with the fans spinning and suspected bad logic board).

I fired it up and still with the fans spinning she booted up fine straight into Yosemite albeit with a slightly yellowy screen so I was happy at this point...

This is where it goes wrong :(

So then I reassembled my 7,1 with the odd and display from my 8,1 that id swapped...

Now it doesn't boot or chime,jsut the fans spin at a slow speed :( I only have 3 leds of the 4 lit as well :(

I then read online this could be a psu fault... its not as I stole that from the otherone to test...

Im at a real loss as to what to do now from having two decent imacs less than a week ago I have none any help would be great?

Thanks

5. Danwilderspin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just swapped the graphics cards between the 8,1 and 7,1 8,1 boots just fine 7,1 just has the 3 leds on it still :( im really stuck I don't know whats left except the logic board but I don't understand how I could break it by disconnecting just the lcd tem sensor and the lvds cable :(

Now I have two imacs by the looks of it both with bad logic boards :( any ideas what else I could try?

Thanks in advance

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I now understand why the new ones use glue.

Sorry for your troubles OP. Hope you get it working again.

7. Danwilderspin thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hi. I've tried reading your other posts, but I'm rather confused about what you're saying.

Anyway, this might be of help: it appears to be the service manual for the 2008 24" model. It does list the apple hardware test error codes, but you mentioned one in some other post that I didn't find in this manual. It also talks about fan sound issues in the Troubleshooting section.

As far as swapping the 7,1 logic board into the 8,1 or vice versa (in your other post) -- I don't know the answer but I really doubt it would work.

I would put all of the parts back into the original machines and then go from there...

----------

He's talking about the newer iMacs, which use an adhesive strip to attach the front bezel or the front glass to the rear shell (or so I understand), making it harder to open up and work on.

He's making a humorous comment implying that maybe it's a good thing that people can't open them up so easily anymore and perhaps get in a situation like yours.

:)