Interest check in carbon fiber iPhone 4 cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by willmiz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. willmiz macrumors member

I am preparing my startup company to begin producing iPhone 4 cases for quite some time. We have some products coming down the pipeline very soon, though I am always interested in trying out new things.

There is lots of talk on the forums of carbon-fiber type cases, and I would like to see if there was any interest in an iPhone 4 case that is made carbon fiber type material. This material would not be the cheap stuff you normally see, but with a texture that can be felt (with the 3-D type pattern).

Here is what I am thinking of..

• Price point of ~$20
    • "Back Case" style much like the iFrogz Luxe Lean

I don't have a concept on hand, though here is a picture of the carbon fiber material..

[​IMG]

If produced, would any of you have interest? I would love to hear feedback. Thanks!

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Would it be a case with this CF pattern or a nice (inexpensive) overlay for the back/sides? I would only be interested in the latter.

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I'd be interested in the overlay too, not an actual case though.

4. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if having carbon fiber touching the external antennas would effect the signal quality. You may want to look into the RF properties of carbon fiber weave...

5. willmiz thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, I am actually also looking at getting overlays produced as well. I have to test out what the best cutting technique would be, though it shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, I had the same concerns with reception and have found a way to actually help with the reception issue by using a skin ( and with a case obviously). Also looking at sourcing white carbon fiber material.

Those of you who would like an overlay- would you want the apple logo cut out or covered?

6. glen e macrumors 68030

I'm looking for a very minimalist, very hi quality CF bumper. price point up to $30.

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Covered for me. The point of an overlay is to protect, and to have a part of the back exposed kinda defeats the purpose for me.

8. 8mpg macrumors regular

If you are looking to do a simple overlay, just use scissors to cut the carbon fiber. Do a wet layup on a piece of waxed glass..this will give you a super shiney side where they resin soaked through onto the glass, and more of a matte side 3d (top) where the resin has just soaked in. Let it cure and just cut it with scissors.

Using prepreg carbon fiber will just leave the matte 3d style texture on both sides.

Id like to see an actual carbon fiber case. Someone has linked to one here on the site but the thing is $100. I know it takes time and money to do it...just more than I would be willing to pay.

I did a carbon fiber overlay on the 69 Mustang Door panel inserts years ago before carbon fiber was the outrage.
    [​IMG]

9. Drift Monkey macrumors newbie

A slim fitting carbon fiber case for $20? Count me in. :D

Carbon Kevlar would be cool too. :cool:

10. chequepoint macrumors member

11. UltraZ33 macrumors 6502

UltraZ33

I'll be interested in the case or overlay. it would be dope.

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's the same 3M "carbon fiber" stick on stuff everyone is selling as a skin. It does have a nice texture. I put it on my friends EVO.

13. artofdesign macrumors member

I'd be excited about this:

Here is what I am thinking of..

* Price point of ~$20
    * "Back Case" style much like the iFrogz Luxe Lean

14. L3MON macrumors member

I would be very interested in this! :) my car's trunk is carbon fiber and love it lol I've been hoping to find a cf case for my iPhone 4!

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

That is 3M Di-Noc. It's not carbon fiber, so don't try to advertise it as that if you do create a case with it.

16. 8mpg macrumors regular

you guys will never see a case for $20...way to much work in true carbon fiber and it just isnt feasible. Honestly the $90-100 one is a good deal. For someone to build a mold and a plug then vacuum mold it...you arent going to get much cheaper.

Heck..I wouldnt bother get the resin out for $20.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

He never said it would be true carbon fiber...he said "carbon fiber type"

obviously real carbon fiber would be far too expensive

also, true carbon fiber does not interfere with cell signal, so if he was to use real carbon fiber, that wouldn't be a concern

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

There's nothing about this that is actually carbon fiber, so it should be called "carbon fiber look" if he plans on selling a sticker to people and call it a case.

19. 8mpg macrumors regular

Guess I misread it. That roof skin looks a lot like real carbon fiber. Fooled me

20. Cancom UK macrumors newbie

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Google iCarbons. These weaves are already being offered in the states.

22. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

ruthless...

for that much money I'd go with dro's new iphone 4 carbon fiber case... very nice. (not sure if their service has gotten any better though.)

Btw, just my opinion, carbon fiber is so played now dude. real or fake. And theres already a lot of nice ones out there, your gona have lots of competition but good luck nonetheless.