Interest in code for an updater?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by italiano40, Jul 3, 2008.

?

Give out source code of update app

1. YES...PLZ

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. If it is their i will take it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I have created an app, and in this app i created a pretty good updater, that can check out code.google.com for an update. I want to know if programmers would use this if i took it out of my app and gave out a slight modified source code?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I voted maybe. It'd have to be simply amazing to have any chance against the well established and loved Sparkle framework...

3. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I voted yes, not because I'd use it most likely but because I'd love to see how it's done.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The download the Sparkle sourcecode. It's all there.

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Competition is good, although the individual(s) behind Sparkle did an excellent job making it easy to integrate and have a consistent experience with other Sparkle-enabled apps. Easy to the point where it took me a whole 15 minutes to make an app upgradable via Sparkle, and that included setting up the RSS feed and uploading a test update.

It would be hard to beat at this point, IMO.

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

There's nothing wrong with alternatives, so I say yes.

I'd highlight the differences between it and Sparkle because, for anyone choosing any updater right now, the question would be why not Sparkle?

Also, if it demonstrates the use of certain Cocoa classes or certain techniques, you could briefly list those. Other programmers might find it useful as sample code.

7. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

ok i will release it, but my friend who is a great mac programmer is coming over tonight we will add as much function we can