Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's introduction of widgets on the Home Screen in iOS 14 has driven a surge in interest among users looking to customize their iPhone, and that has reportedly had a knock-on effect for Pinterest, whose iOS app has seen record downloads as users flock to its content seeking design inspiration.

pinterest.jpg

As reported by TechCrunch, App Store intelligence firm Apptopia was first to note the impact of the iOS 14 customization trend on Pinterest. According to its data, Pinterest saw a record high number of daily downloads on September 21, with around 616,000 new installs globally.

Offering similar numbers, market intelligence firm Sensor Tower estimated 680,000 Pinterest installs across iOS and Android the previous day, as users searched for photos to use for custom icons or wallpapers to go with their new widgets.

Sensor Tower estimates that Pinterest's downloads record was actually broken on September 20, with around 800,000 installs worldwide, or a 32 percent week-on-week growth from the 607,000 installs it managed on September 13, a few days before iOS 14 was released to the public.

The interest has also caused Pinterest to jump from number 47 on the Top Free iPhone Apps charts in the App Store to number 7 in just two days. The app currently sits at number 1 in the Lifestyle category on iPhone, although it has hovered around the number 1 and number 2 position since February 2020.

The report notes that the driving motivation for the growth in Pinterest installations can be seen on Pinterest's home page, which has been showcasing the new iOS 14 customization possibilities available to users.
The Pinterest home page today showcases iPhone design trends as one of its "Daily Inspirations," where the collection "Trending wallpapers and aesthetic homescreen ideas" is currently sitting at the top of the page. Here, users are finding iPhone backgrounds and sharing other custom designs and icon sets for people to use in their own creations.
One possible Home Screen customization that has taken on a life of its own is the ability to create custom icons using Apple's Shortcuts app. The process involves creating a Shortcut to open an app, and then adding an image to that Shortcut on the home screen.

A TechCrunch spokesperson said that Gen Z has been the main reason for the surge in interest, as this group grew 50 percent year over year in June 2020 and they tend to use Pinterest as a resource for design inspiration.

Article Link: Interest in iOS 14 Home Screen Ideas Helps Pinterest Break Daily Download Record

Last edited:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I only got the app because they literally infiltrated the Google Image Search. I don’t know what kind of Devils deal they made with google but I am surprised they haven’t set their domain to no-follow because as the icing of the cake, you can’t even view the image you searched for on GOOGLE without downloading this damn app

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Image search result on net was littered by Pinterest. What sucks when I register account just to view original source, it was not there, wasting time. Just forget Pinterest and I do not use it anymore, it was because my colleagues asking me to searching kind set of references image.

Another problem is copyright issues. Some artist blog now prohibit any Pinterest pin to prevent abuse of non-credited works.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Let's face the truth: there's no way to make any of that look clean, let alone aesthetic. No wonder Jony Ive made it his life's mission to prevent this. But here we are Jony, happy as a toddler playing with spaghetti and tomato sauce. :p

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Cool hopefully Apple takes notice and iOS15 focuses even more on customization.

The only thing I really want is choosing my own dark and light mode wallpapers separately .

This and also allowing apps to adjust their icons automatically with dark mode are missing implementation aspects of the dark appearance

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Let's face the truth: there's no way to make any of that look clean, let alone aesthetic. No wonder Jony Ive made it his life's mission to prevent this. But here we are Jony, happy as a toddler playing with spaghetti and tomato sauce. :p
Did he though?

Maybe the reason why we get this (and I think this is better than nothing) is because of him trying to keep the silly, unchanging row of icons and not copy the way customization is done on Android (which I still think is better).

Or perhaps it's a technical reason on iOS itself. I honestly don't know.

But I like the App drawer / free-form homescreen combo implementation in Android and I wished Apple had done it the same way (with a little Apple-spin on top).

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Attachments

• download1.jpg
    download1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 270

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

It's still janky. First, the icons don't represent what the app is at all, so they're just little mini pictures. Then the larger pictures all still have "Widgetsmith" below them, which looks ridiculous. Does this offer more customizability than before? Sure, and that's great, but it's still absolutely nothing compared to what Android has been able to do for years.

It will be extremely nice if they can actually off 1) Icon packs, so you don't have to do the janky shortcuts workaround. 2) Allow you to place icons anywhere you want on the screen. 3) Replacement launchers, but I doubt that will ever be a thing on iOS.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
It's still janky. First, the icons don't represent what the app is at all, so they're just little mini pictures. Then the larger pictures all still have "Widgetsmith" below them, which looks ridiculous. Does this offer more customizability than before? Sure, and that's great, but it's still absolutely nothing compared to what Android has been able to do for years.

It will be extremely nice if they can actually off 1) Icon packs, so you don't have to do the janky shortcuts workaround. 2) Allow you to place icons anywhere you want on the screen. 3) Replacement launchers, but I doubt that will ever be a thing on iOS.

I'm not saying it's not janky. My point was to counter the opinion that you cannot make iOS aesthetically pleasing, or relatively clean looking. I agree with you, it's effectively a beta type feature (I mean the shortcuts app? come on), but this is how apple decided to test the waters. Maybe in iOS 15 we'll see full featured customization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.