interested in a good little cam....suggestions please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Joeytpg, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Hi, guys..... I need some help here.

I'm new to the video cam world. I need a SMALL HD cam to record trips, record my performances (I'm a Solo artist - musician), etc etc.

but I don't want something big, I need a SMALL portable cam.

what can you recommend that's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg.
    :p

2. macman7002 macrumors regular

I am not sure of what specific camera you should get. But I would say stick with a Sony. And don't get something really cheap, because with video cameras, you tend to get what you pay for. On a side note, why does it have to be a high definition video camera?
    Hope this sorta helps.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

What's your budget, especially since you want an HD camera?

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

thanks for the replies guys.

Well I don't really want to spend more than $500. HD, well because technology is moving towards HD right? I guess, if I'm going to invest in a good camera, I want it to be up to date.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless you have good lighting, performances recorded indoors (esp. in bars and clubs) are going to be poor quality video. You are also going to want a tripod and possibly an external microphone - make sure that the camera you choose has the ability to take an external mic.

6. macman7002 macrumors regular

Yeah, I think it is starting to go to HD, but I think for the home users, or someone like you for what you want to do, I don't think HD will make that much of a difference, I could be wrong, but that is just my thought. HD right now is more for TV and Movie studios.

CanadaRAM is right about the lighting, and the tripod, and the external port. Tripod is a must-have.

In my opinion, I would get the best you can afford Mini-DV camera with an external mic port, preferably an XLR connection, better long distance audio quality, seeing that it is a balanced line. But I don't think you are going to notice much of a difference between a Mini-DV and HD cam, especially in poor lit areas. If you have a well lit performance area, the footage should look great!

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well, that's gonna be pretty tough to find a HD camera at $500. The Canon HV20/30 is already a great camera, and you could probably find used HV20's for around $500 or a refurbished one for around $589.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120277

Unfortunately, once you start tacking on, at the very least, an extra battery, tripod, a decent mic, because forget onboard camera mics, your budget has swelled.

http://www.bestbatt.com/Canon_BP_2L24H_Battery_p/bbbp2l24h.htm
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366741-REG/Velbon_DV7000_DV_7000_Tripod_with_2_Way.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html

These are just examples and bear in mind they're on the lower end of the spectrum.

Edit: If you want to use Mics with XLR connections for phantom power, you'll have to look into getting a mixer such as a Beachtek or one made by Juicedlink.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The Sony HDR-TG3 may be slightly out of your price range, but is still worth looking at. Tapeless high-definition, very small and portable, picture quality from what I have seen is comparable to HV20 / HV30 even in low-light situations which is, presumably, the kind of scenario you'll be shooting in (by way of anecdote, I know one person who has ditched his HV20 in favour of the TG3 simply because it is easier to get around with and still shoots very good video). The downside is that you have to use (expensive) Sony Memorysticks, but if you back-up your footage regularly, you won't need a whole bunch of 'em.

Bear in mind that the lack of light most musical performances occur in is beyond the ken of most (I'm tempted to say "all" but that's just inviting a flaming from the Canon HV fans) camcorders at this level.

My advice would be to forget about standard definition miniDV. If you're going to faff about with tapes, you might as well record high definition video on them.

As for audio, a mic input is great, but the mic is most likely to be mounted on the camera. For a music performance you'd be better off recording the audio independently and putting sounds and pictures back together in iMovie or whatever. If you can be bothered, that is.

Andrew.