Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I'm starting to get the itch for an Apple Watch, more specifically SBSS. I'm on the fence about purchasing now or waiting until version 2. It would be a gift as fiance said she would get it for me as engagement gift.

Part of me wants to snag a used Sport on the cheap as a test run, and if I like it then have her get the SBSS version 2 later this year. She has told me to do whatever I wish.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I say snag the used sport to scratch your current itch and get a feel for the watch. Inevitably, you will want to upgrade to Stainless and then your fiancé can scratch that itch for you when the next gen comes out. I had the aluminum originally and got stainless envy after 2 months of trying to convince myself that the aluminum version "looks pretty good too" so I finally sold my aluminum and bought the stainless. You'll enjoy your next 2nd gen Stainless Watch that much more when you have a first gen aluminum to compare it to.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Ha! She said do whatever I wish with respect to the Apple Watch.

If you can wait for ver. 2 then I would because the SBSS is amazing!! I sold my space gray sport for it and I would never look back.

877ad1af61225315b3fd6dcbb65b167a.jpg

Reactions: WarHeadz

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
i say wait. like anything it will go way way way down in price. id of liked the SS but opted for the sport space grey, works for me. i say in two years, or sooner, youll find the stainless for under $200.00 all day long, and finding new ones, or at least ones that look like new. think of the iPhone 5s, they were fighting over them at seven and eight hundred dollars. not anymore. and has typical apple will come out with a newer version with more features and the original watcch will be almost worthless. hey they come out with a new iPhone every year or two. no sooner do you buy a new model then they come out with a newer one.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i say wait. like anything it will go way way way down in price. id of liked the SS but opted for the sport space grey, works for me. i say in two years, or sooner, youll find the stainless for under $200.00 all day long, and finding new ones, or at least ones that look like new. think of the iPhone 5s, they were fighting over them at seven and eight hundred dollars. not anymore.

That's because they were still selling the 5s as a two-generation-old model. People are still fighting over the latest generation iPhone at seven and eight hundred dollars.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Just get it! Why wait? If you dont love it, it didnt cost you much. If you love it, upgrade to the next gen and let your wife have this one (my plan :p right now)

You give your wife your unwanted tech? That would be grounds for divorce in my house! I don't take nobody's hand me downs.

To the OP, I would go ahead and buy it if you want it and it is in your price range. I didn't get one until February, a RG Sport, and it was on sale at Best Buy for $249. I thought about waiting but the only advantage would have been maybe saving $50 and getting the nylon band instead of the sport on my original purchase.

As for waiting on the next generation, I'm not 100% convinced that the watch will have the same or even a remotely similar release schedule as the iPhone and iPad. Wearable tech is a new class of technology and it's release cycles are still unknown. Personally, if you can afford and want it, I would just take the plunge.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
You give your wife your unwanted tech? That would be grounds for divorce in my house! I don't take nobody's hand me downs.

To the OP, I would go ahead and buy it if you want it and it is in your price range. I didn't get one until February, a RG Sport, and it was on sale at Best Buy for $249. I thought about waiting but the only advantage would have been maybe saving $50 and getting the nylon band instead of the sport on my original purchase.

As for waiting on the next generation, I'm not 100% convinced that the watch will have the same or even a remotely similar release schedule as the iPhone and iPad. Wearable tech is a new class of technology and it's release cycles are still unknown. Personally, if you can afford and want it, I would just take the plunge.

Ha! You are correct madam. Well to be fair, its not "unwanted tech". Its more like "pre-loved" tech. :D And it has worked well with the iPhone.
But it didnt work with the watch. She wanted hers now, got it and now has a collection of watch bands going. So, I dont always save money. :(

mlo0its

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
What I'm currently doing is that I had bought an Apple Watch Sport at Target using my Target red card because by using the red card, the return policy is 30 days from the date of purchase. During this 30 day trial, I'm testing it out seeing if I can live with its shortcomings. I'm planning on returning the watch since I feel that the Apple Watch needs to be a little more refined. I'm hoping the Apple Watch 2 will have improved sensors and a faster processor and just a bit more improved in terms of software features and efficiency (though I would imagine that the software improvements will also be applied to the first generation watch).

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
personally. If its an engagement present you are pretty much looking at keeping it for the rest of your life (or marriage). For this reason I would avoid any sort of technology product as an engagement present. I you want an apple watch just buy it yourself once the second gen comes out and in the mean time get her to get you something that you would be able to keep forever for an engagement gift

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm starting to get the itch for an Apple Watch, more specifically SBSS. I'm on the fence about purchasing now or waiting until version 2. It would be a gift as fiance said she would get it for me as engagement gift.

Part of me wants to snag a used Sport on the cheap as a test run, and if I like it then have her get the SBSS version 2 later this year. She has told me to do whatever I wish.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Engagements and Weddings are a milestone in most people's lives. An engagement/wedding gift usually tends to carry sentimental value with it.

Ask for a gift that will last a lifetime or generations. Something you can hand down to your children or grand children:

- A bracelet
- A necklace
- A mechanical watch
- A Ring

Don't cheapen memories of this important chapter of your life with an electronic gadget that won't last more than 5 years.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Engagements and Weddings are a milestone in most people's lives. An engagement/wedding gift usually tends to carry sentimental value with it.

Ask for a gift that will last a lifetime or generations. Something you can hand down to your children or grand children:

- A bracelet
- A necklace
- A mechanical watch
- A Ring

Don't cheapen memories of this important chapter of your life with a electronic gadget that won't last more than 5 years.
This sounds like excellent advice.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Go for a used or refurbed sport. I just got a refurbed aluminum gold with midnight blue band for $240. It's scratching my itch and getting me used to integrating the watch into my life while we wait for the product refresh. I can't get too hurt when I sell because I've only paid $240.

I wouldn't get into the AW today at $4-500 though.

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The fact is the Apple Watch is old and has been a long time on sale, and probably has a few months left before being upgraded. We’re at the tail end of its run before being refreshed by an overdue upgrade.

New color options, band varieties, and a price drop make it more compelling right now, but there’s a reward for those who wait. The hardware you buy today, even in rose gold Sport with a Nylon Woven band, is the same hardware introduced a year ago.

QRyaLRv_700wa_0.gif

stlwx21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Welp, the fiancé surprised me with a very nice Tag Heuer watch. Can't believe she did that! In the end, she didn't want to get me a gift that would be outdated next year.

I may not wear it every day, but will wear it for special occasions and eventually pass it down one day.

Reactions: Jasmynp and Rok73

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Welp, the fiancé surprised me with a very nice Tag Heuer watch. Can't believe she did that! In the end, she didn't want to get me a gift that would be outdated next year.

I may not wear it every day, but will wear it for special occasions and eventually pass it down one day.

Awesome. :)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

As much as I love my Apple Watch, your fiancee bought you a better engagement gift. You should marry her! :)

Seriously...it's nice to have something like that with more heirloom value. Jewelry, mechanical watches, nice pocket knives, etc. These things can last indefinitely and your kids or grand-kids may appreciate and wear/use them decades from now.

Congratulations on your engagement!

Sean[/QUOTE]

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Sorry, I know looks are relative and everyone has their own taste but that thing is ugly! Looks like an AW with one of those tacky huge cases on, shoulda went with the better tech on that purchase and I have seen some nice Tags out there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.