Interested in buying this used Mac Pro. Worth it? Need some insight.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wreckthisplace, Jan 7, 2011.

1. wreckthisplace macrumors newbie

Hey all

I'm considering buying this Mac Pro. Claims to be barely used.

Here are the specs:

Quad Core 2.66GHz
    4GB RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    DVD-RW/DL
    Snow leopard 10.6

He says the model #is MA356 but the notable differences between the one he is selling and the base unit are:

It has 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Drive and comes with the 2.66 quad-core 'clovertown' processor (not the 2.66 core 2 duo)

I'm not sure what the clovertown processor is, so any insight would be great.

He says that he can swap in a 1TB drive instead for an extra $100.

He's asking $1200.

I am currently borrowing a friends Mac Pro and in the 'about this mac' it says it is a Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.66ghz.

Am I currently using a Core 2 duo or am I essentially using the same computer that this guy is selling? I just want to make sure I buy something that is at least the same or better than what I am currently borrowing.

Any insight on any of this would be much appreciated and the sooner the better!

Thanks all!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

3. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Looks like it is a 2.1 which is a first/second generation MACPRO with a quad core processor. if you look under Hardware Overview: in about this Mac it will tell you for sure what kind it is.

Garen

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The machine you're looking at is a 2006 (1,1) Mac Pro with two dual-core processors which are based on the Core2Duo architecture.

Go to "About this Mac" and select more info. The hardware overview will provide you any information about your friend's machine you need. His machine can be either the same, or a 2009 quad core.

5. wreckthisplace thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm

I've asked him to send me a screenshot of the 'Hadrware' section in About This Mac.

When I check mine, it lists the Model Identifier as 'MacPro4,1'

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Which is a 2009 quad model. Very different machine with close to twice the performance of the 1,1 you're looking at.

I'm not saying that the 1,1 is a bad machine, it just not worth the $1200, especially not considering its weak configuration.

And $100 bucks for a 1TB drive is just cheeky. You can get a brand new (with 5 year warranty) 1TB WD Black for 90 bucks on newegg.

7. The-Pro, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

If he can tell you what graphics card is in the mac pro, would also give lots of indication to what model that it. Of course the easiest way is if he sends a screenshot of the system profilers hardware section.

If its the 2006 version then it will have a lot less performance then the one you are using at the moment. Several reasons for this:
    - the 2.66Ghz 2006 version, like allready stated by "Transporteur", is probably the dual processor configuration. 2 dual core processors giving you a quad core machine. These processors will be based on the Core2Duo architecture which pretty old. Those CPU's have a lot smaller cache sizes, slow memory buses, and frontside busses. The 2009 machine you are using at the moment is an Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor. The architecture of that processor is still one of the best available at the moment. Also you have 8 virtual cores. This means that although you are using a quad core machine the system sees 8 cores. Approximately 50% more performance. This is the "Hyper Threading Technology" by Intel. Also if im not mistaken the Nehalem processors feature the "turbo boost technology" aswell. This increases the speed of 2 of your cores when the others arnt needed. Thus increasing performance.
    - Memory Type: The 2006 model has DDR2 Ram, running at 667mhz. The 2009 model uses DDR3 Ram, running at 1066mhz. This is a pretty big difference in performance.
    -The graphics card (GPU): I guess the model he is selling has the nVidia Geforce 7300 GT. Your model at the moment probably the Geforce GT 120. The GT 120 is not a powerful card but more than enough for a average user. The 7300 GT in comparison is a joke :D Not sure if it supports Open GL at all. The GT 120 does, thus increasing overall system performance as in Snow Leopard (10.6.x) OpenGL is used but obviously only with a card which supports it. GT 120 has more cores, has two dual link ports (7300 GT, has one dual link(max res. 2560,1600), one single link (max res. 1920x1200).
    - optical drive in the 2006 model is a 16x Super Drive, the one you have currently is a 18x SuperDrive. Only minor differences here, no really noticeable performance difference, but thought i point it out.
    - Power consumption to performance ratio is far worse then with the 2009 model. Mac Pro's back then had same or similar power consumption, but far less performance.

Im confused about something though: The person selling this mac pro said it was Clovertown, i think he was mistaken, misread something or just didt now 100%, or we dont know :D wikipedia states these as the processors available in the 2006 version: ----->Two 2.66 GHz (5150) Dual-core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest"
    Optional 2.0 GHz (5130), 2.66 GHz or 3.0 GHz (5160) Dual-core or 3.0 GHz (X5365) Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown"<----
    Unless of course it is a single processor Mac Pro, i and Transporteur thought it was dual processors. if we were wrong with the dual processors then what i said up top still stands. Difference is that you only have one dual core processor. not quad core. If the seller is correct with "clovertown", then it will be one 2.66Ghz Dual Core.
    Now hard drive wise. You have 4 hard drive bays. One would be occupied by the 500gb drive. If you purchase a 1TB drive for like 90$ then u would put it into the 2nd drive bay. Giving you 1.5 TB overall. you could expand to 4TB, maybe even 8TB not sure.

IS IT WORTH $1200???? i would say no, look for it and you could get the same one for i'd say 900. Gotta look for it mate. For you to consider, a base model 21.5" iMac would have more performance, in every aspect, plus you'd have a isight, mic, decent speakers, keyboard, mouse, good screen. If you need the to however be able to upgrade all components, then mac pro is the way to go. You'd have the option of more graphics cards = more displays connected. Also far more storage.

WANT SOMETHING WITH THE SAME OR MORE PERFORMANCE AS THE ONE YOU ARE BORROWING?? Then im afraid you needa pay slightly more. 2009 models still go for roughly 2k, obviously ebay might help you out, if you dont want to or cant spend that money

Hope this helps, (im dyslexic, if something dont make sense, ask, ill rephrase :D )

8. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

the 2008 oct mac pro should also be around 2k. :)

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I assume this is an MA356LL/A. With a Clovertown processor, that would be a first gen Mac Pro (1,1) bought in 2007 or 2008.

Not a good deal.

And the hard drive option is an outright ripoff.

10. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

I believe you might mean a 2006 or 2007 mac pro...

11. JustSomeDude, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

JustSomeDude macrumors regular

Just to give you an idea of prices:

You can get the 2.66GHz quad core nehalem system (the same as your friend's) with 3GB for $1799 from MacMall and $1749 from Expercom. They are both eligible for the optional AppleCare. (Also, CostCentral sometimes has it in stock for for less than $1700).

Admittedly, it is big jump in price, but if you could manage it, you would be getting a much faster system, with a one year Apple warranty.

12. AF08 macrumors member

AF08

Me Too

I saw an ad on craigslist for some one selling a PowerMac G5 2.66 :confused:

The 2.66 threw me off, so I asked him if he could send me the serial number, and it turns out its Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 with 4 GB of Ram and 300GB HD.

He is asking $600, I was able to get him down to $500 :D

Good deal right? :cool:

Should I get it?

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

As long as it works, I think that is a great deal. Doesn't really matter on the HD or ram configuration, pick it up!

14. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Also, if its broken, but the fix is up to $100-ish thats a good deal too!

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

:confused: Up to a hundred bucks to fix a broken Pro?
    Come again!

16. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Well Ive seen Pros described as "Broken" when all thats dead is the optical drive - thats easily less than $100 to fix.

17. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Yes, but there are other with a broken logic board, PSU, or processors, and those are waaay more than just a hundred bucks.

For that price, I wouldn't buy a broken one.

18. AF08 macrumors member

AF08

Got It

Everything is in working order, and just as I thought, they had no idea what they were selling..

They thought it was dual 2.66 "PowerPC G5"

19. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Please read what I wrote again, I said if it was broken and the fix was less than 100 bucks. I didnt say any fix was $100, I said if it was broken and the fix was known to be less than $100 it was still a good deal. Also, if its not broken, thats a superb deal and Id get it instantly... wish someone local to me was selling a Dual 2.66 "G5", but alas their not :(

20. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

http://www.retrevo.com/s/Apple-MA356-Desktops-review-manual/id/4200bh336/t/1-2/

I know you've already received lots of helpful replies, but here's something rather interesting based on the model number quoted MA356 ...

The product is considered as "Ready to Retire" ...

p.s. I beg to differ though. Perhaps "Over the Hill" status might be more accurate. Then again, different people different needs.

21. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

The Mac Pro 1,1 is a good machine. I use mine for work and it runs Indesign, PS very well.

There are a few things you need to do to make it "competitive:"
    -Get a new graphics card. HD5770 is only $100 and can run current games at 2600x1680 at max settings easily
    -Get more RAM. FBDIMMs cost about twice as much as regular RAM (about $50 a gig) and you need to get certain brands that have a big heatsink on them.
    -Get an SSD for your OS and apps

While obviously it will still be slower than the current Mac Pros for things like video encoding, if you are someone that will be bothered by that / require blazing speed then you'll need to pony up the big bux$$$, for most purposes you won't notice the difference.