Interested in Macbooks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Silvereel, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I've always used Windows and only recently got my first laptop, a tiny little HP Mini 1000, which serves the basic needs of what I do with a laptop. But since I got an iPod Touch as a gift for Christmas it has gotten me interested in Mac.
    Macs don't quite do what I need for a desktop, and I just got a 2,000 dollar computer a few months ago (hardcore gamer here!). So, I figure I will be ready for a new and more powerful laptop in a few months, the Mini isn't really built to be used for very long periods, it is already showing signs of aging, and it is still stuck on XP. It does what it should do fairly well, but I often find myself trying to do heavier tasks it can't do (it gets laggy on flash sometimes, and Google Earth or World Wide Telescope is only in my dreams).
    So, I thought a Macbook might be something I would like to try.
    Which Macbook is 'best'? I realize each model targets a different model, but I'm looking for something that does the basic tasks, internet browsing and e-mail, but can also do some slightly more taxing tasks, like gaming. Would I need a Macbook Pro (very appealing, but the price is a bit high) or a standard Macbook (pretty, but still not as appealing visually, and I'm not sure what it can do).

2. ericgarcia2010 macrumors member

I bought the 13" Macbook Pro, back then when it was still a Macbook. It's great. I play games on it with no problem, I've played Counter Strike, Halo, Fifa, GTA IV, and some others. No lag at all or anything. Just my two cents.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Every Apple laptop (and every other laptop in the world) will do internet browsing and email and they will all run a full slate of modern games, albeit perhaps not all with the graphics maxed out. Beyond that, you have to tell us a bit more about how you expect to use the computer. Will you take it with you to work/school every day? Will you connect it to an external monitor when you're at your desk? Will you travel with it? How much will you run it on battery power?

4. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

I mainly use a laptop for travel and around the home use, when I am in rooms other than my office (I.E. if I need to check e-mail before going to sleep) and it is really nice to have a computer with me on long trips.
    It will get used most every day, but it won't be in any danger of particularly rough treatment.
    I run on battery when possible, but the majority of the time I will have the option to plug it in as well.
    I've never connected anything to another monitor before, since I've got my desktop for that if I need it, so that's not going to be a factor.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case I'd get a 13" MacBook Pro, since they're easier to cart about. If you're planning on using it for gaming, you'll probably want the higher-end model.

6. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

Gaming wise it won't be my main machine (due to so many games being incompatible) but mostly to get my fix when I don't have access to my desktop. I had been considering the 13 inch all along, honestly :rolleyes:

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

There are 2 13" MBPs. In any case, I would wait until after the 27th of this month before you buy, as Apple possibly might release new Macbooks with i3/i5 chips inside.

However, currently, there is a base model (2.23ghz, 2gm ram, 160gb HD) and a more powerful model (2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250Gb HD).

Looking at the stock options, I would recommend the 2.23ghz model with an upgrade (4gb ram and 320gb HD) over the 2.53 model: it is cheaper, and I dount you will actually notice the .2ghz CPU difference.