Interested in New Mac Mini - Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JoshFink, Oct 19, 2007.

1. JoshFink macrumors regular

I'm interested in getting the 2ghz Mini. One thing I'm not clear on is are they going to release new models with the Leopard release or should I just go ahead and buy one now? I already have the Leopard family pack coming so that's not an issue.

Thanks

Josh

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would just buy it now, since there havn't been many rumors about a new mini, and you already have the family pack coming.

3. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

The mini just got a speed bump in August. If there are any more upgrades, they would likely appear after any Macbook upgrades.

Supposedly, the Macbooks will likely see a GPU upgrade soon. In that case, I would expect that change in GPU to be eventually reflected in future iterations of the Mini. Probably sometime in the new year, at the earliest, as far as upgrade to the Mini. Just a guess though. Good luck.

4. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I wouldn't expect another Mini speed bump for 10/11 months.

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new Mini on Oct 2nd. I'm using it at work, it's fantastic. I upgraded the RAM to 2gig and it really works very well. I was surprised at how fast this little box actually is.

6. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

With all the rumors of the Mini getting EOL'd, I'd get one soon.

7. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I just got the 1.83ghz Core 2 mini today and I have to say that even with 1Gb of ram, it seems like a pretty fast little machine.

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

My G3 iMac feels the same way, it actually beats my pentium 4 machine sometimes.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There are some rumblings that the Mini will be replaced by the Nano, but details are scant. I'd wait until after Leopard is released, at least.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not to say that it will Apple won't change what they do as the norm but as the norm Apple has never released new hardware on the day they release a new OS. It's not good business to trump the new OS by releasing new hardware at the same time. If Apple were to do this most people would be the new hardware instead of buying a standalone of Mac OS X.
    Apple's shareholders are expecting Leopard to sell well on it's own. Hardware with Leopard pre-installed will not increase Leopard's revenue so don't expect new hardware.
    The iMac was released strategically so many buyers would still have to pay for Leopard. There's a great chance that mid to late November the Macbooks will see an update.

11. grandpamike macrumors newbie

Just wait until the 26th,they will ship with Leopard then.

12. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

I would wait. Essentially, there has been no update since it's release - it's still the same chipset and video card as the initial Intel-model. At some point here soon, it will either have to die or have its architecture updated (if only because the chipset/GMA950 may become constrained and/or unavailable). Personally I'd wait and see what shakes out...