Interested in New Mac Mini - Should I wait?

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
114
1
Atlanta, GA
I'm interested in getting the 2ghz Mini. One thing I'm not clear on is are they going to release new models with the Leopard release or should I just go ahead and buy one now? I already have the Leopard family pack coming so that's not an issue.

Thanks

Josh
 

0007776

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
6,474
8,164
Somewhere
I would just buy it now, since there havn't been many rumors about a new mini, and you already have the family pack coming.
 

FatSweatyBlldog

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
176
0
I'm interested in getting the 2ghz Mini. One thing I'm not clear on is are they going to release new models with the Leopard release or should I just go ahead and buy one now? I already have the Leopard family pack coming so that's not an issue.

Thanks

Josh
The mini just got a speed bump in August. If there are any more upgrades, they would likely appear after any Macbook upgrades.

Supposedly, the Macbooks will likely see a GPU upgrade soon. In that case, I would expect that change in GPU to be eventually reflected in future iterations of the Mini. Probably sometime in the new year, at the earliest, as far as upgrade to the Mini. Just a guess though. Good luck.
 

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
704
9
I just bought a new Mini on Oct 2nd. I'm using it at work, it's fantastic. I upgraded the RAM to 2gig and it really works very well. I was surprised at how fast this little box actually is.
 

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
531
1
I just got the 1.83ghz Core 2 mini today and I have to say that even with 1Gb of ram, it seems like a pretty fast little machine.
 

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
6,396
0
Not to say that it will Apple won't change what they do as the norm but as the norm Apple has never released new hardware on the day they release a new OS. It's not good business to trump the new OS by releasing new hardware at the same time. If Apple were to do this most people would be the new hardware instead of buying a standalone of Mac OS X.
Apple's shareholders are expecting Leopard to sell well on it's own. Hardware with Leopard pre-installed will not increase Leopard's revenue so don't expect new hardware.
The iMac was released strategically so many buyers would still have to pay for Leopard. There's a great chance that mid to late November the Macbooks will see an update.
 

grandpamike

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
5
0
Just wait until the 26th,they will ship with Leopard then.


I'm interested in getting the 2ghz Mini. One thing I'm not clear on is are they going to release new models with the Leopard release or should I just go ahead and buy one now? I already have the Leopard family pack coming so that's not an issue.

Thanks

Josh
 

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2007
410
145
I would wait. Essentially, there has been no update since it's release - it's still the same chipset and video card as the initial Intel-model. At some point here soon, it will either have to die or have its architecture updated (if only because the chipset/GMA950 may become constrained and/or unavailable). Personally I'd wait and see what shakes out...
 

Similar threads

Replies
4
Views
143
  • IJBNOMZ
13
Replies
13
Views
528
  • GreatKazou
1
Replies
1
Views
206
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.