Interested in purchasing a MBP, however I have a couple questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by senorchang, Jul 14, 2010.

1. senorchang macrumors newbie

Not sure whether I want the 2.4 GHz 13 inch or the 2.66 GHz, and if the extra cost justifies the performance. First time mac user (played with the macbooks at electronics store, pretty fun/unique might i add) and really want to buy one before school starts (student discount/free iPod touch anyone?) So I have a couple questions before I make my purchase.

1. Is there a way to find out if I can use my student discount at store that sells Macs nearby my house? (My university is about 3 hours away so I can't go to their store to buy)

2. How are the 320M graphics on the 13'? If anything the only games I'll be playing is Heroes of Newerth and Starcraft 2. Obviously not looking for high performance but medium settings will be more than enough for me.

3. Is the apple remote worth it? Was looking at the online site and sounds like a nice little gadget >_>

4. I also notice that I can get a free printer under $100 after rebate if I order online. Say something happens to my MBP, can I go to any apple story physically to get assistance for it or would I have to settle it with the Online Store? (I have pretty bad experiences with customer service)

Thanks! Much appreciated and can't wait to get my first MBP! :D

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

1. you can use your student discount at any apple store in the united states. Right now they're running a promotion offering a free iPod with the purchase of a macbook. And you get the $100 rebate for the printer as well.

2. http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2010/04/macbookpro-benchmarks/
    look over that and see if that helps

3. I've had my macbook pro for a few months now and haven't found use for it yet. maybe pick one up later because I like music while im showering

4. yes you can go to any apple store for any apple product you'd like..although since the printers aren't made by apple they might refer you to the manufacturer

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

1) No, you can only use the student discount at apple stores

2) 320m should handle anything that isn't too graphics intensive

3) If you think you're going to be laying in your bed and watching movies on your laptop from across the room then you might want to think about getting it. However, watching movies from across the room on a 13" screen isn't going to be that enjoyable.

4) Yes, $100 rebate on printers. Also note that the free* iPod touch means you still have to pay for it up front, then they send you a rebate check.

5) You can take your Mac to any apple store, no matter where you bought it.

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

The remote is worth $19. You can hook it up to a TV too and find it very useful

5. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

6. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

You can get the printer rebate if you buy at an Apple store as well. I picked up a base model 13" MBP, 8gb iPOd touch, and an HP Photosmart C4780 last Saturday at an Apple store and should be getting $300 in rebate checks coming to me. One thing to note however is that the printer selection at the stores is smaller than what is listed online. The HP printer was the only $100 one they had at the store while there are a few more listed on the web page.

7. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, so by apple store do stores like Best Buy and Fry's Electronics count? Do I have to talk to them about the student discount seeing as how I don't see any mention of it in the stores? Thanks so much for the help guys, really appreciate it!

8. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

You might be able to get the student pricing on the MBP, but I am pretty sure that the rebates for the iPod and printer are only valid if you buy from an Apple store or Apple.com only.