Interesting 7+ Charging Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigTomCallaghan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. BigTomCallaghan macrumors member

Hello all,

Got my 7+ on Monday via reservation and have observed something interesting going on with my charging: sometimes, only one side of a cable will work, although no matter what side I plug in, I still get the chime and the phone shows as charging.

I have never experienced this before, and was surprised to wake up with my phone at 20% despite having been showing as charging all night. I've tried this with a few different cables:

Official Apple cords: All seem to work on both sides
    MFI VZW car charger: works on both sides
    3-pack of Amazon (non-certified) cables: One side only on all three.

Worth mentioning I have never gotten the warning about a non-supported accessory from any of the Amazon cables before and they all still work both ways to charge my 6S+ also on 10.0.1. They've all been tried on different plugs as well.

I know it may be from the non-MFI cables but why would it still show as charging when not taking on any power? Has anyone experienced this before? What this seems to tell me is that there is either a subtle difference in the new port - perhaps due to water-resistance - or the new lightning connector has something different going on than in previous devices on the HW side. (Yes, I know some of you will say not to use these cables, save your keystrokes...)

Thanks for the input!

2. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I have same issue with anker cable and one that lights up on my iphone 7 with the 4 port anker usb not sure what the problem

3. BigTomCallaghan thread starter macrumors member

Are they certified cables? I thought the Anker's were but please confirm.

Has literally no one else had this issue with their 3rd party cables?

4. Alexrat1996 Suspended

it is certified but seems not compatible with iphone 7