Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
It seems Apple has added a little message in Tiger when sudo commands are entered via Terminal.

I was entering a sudo command into Terminal this evening and when I pressed return, I was greeted by the following message:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.
Password:

I think this is quite a nice touch, although I imagine it'll wear a bit thin as time goes by :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
NATO said:
It seems Apple has added a little message in Tiger when sudo commands are entered via Terminal.

I was entering a sudo command into Terminal this evening and when I pressed return, I was greeted by the following message:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.
Password:

Try updating prebinding.

Interesting.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
trainguy77 said:
This message also pops up every time you do a remote shut down in terminal. :)

I get a different message when I do shutdown from terminal -- even when I'm logged in (term only) as root on top of my account. The message I get is something along the obvious lines of, "The system is about to shut down, close all applications."

But anyway, has anyone tried doing update_prebinding? It seems to me like the format of the output has changed. I don't seem to get the summary at the end anymore, which tells me how many files successfully and unsuccessfully prebound. :(

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
mkrishnan said:
I get a different message when I do shutdown from terminal -- even when I'm logged in (term only) as root on top of my account. The message I get is something along the obvious lines of, "The system is about to shut down, close all applications."

But anyway, has anyone tried doing update_prebinding? It seems to me like the format of the output has changed. I don't seem to get the summary at the end anymore, which tells me how many files successfully and unsuccessfully prebound. :(

I mean when i am at a different machine, then the one i am shutting down.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mkrishnan said:

Ditto. :rolleyes:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
AFAIK, this is something built into sudo, not anything Apple specific. I've never seen the third one in the list before though (the Spiderman quote), maybe Apple added that, or maybe the sudo developers put it in.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
mduser63 said:
AFAIK, this is something built into sudo, not anything Apple specific. I've never seen the third one in the list before though (the Spiderman quote), maybe Apple added that, or maybe the sudo developers put it in.
Indeed. My linux box at work says the same thing when you first run sudo. Although I don't recall if the Spiderman quote is in there.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I just thought it was kinda cool :cool: I'm still quite new to Terminal, but I did use the occasional sudo command in Panther and never saw that message before. First time I tried it in Tiger, it definitely brought a smile :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.