Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I know it's not as iCool as some of the other apple products, but here is an interesting find:
http://services.mail2web.com/Mobility/EnhancedEmail/

Since Jobs was saying that MobileMe was a 'personal exchange', I entered that into google to see what would come up. The site above is charging ~60/yr as opposed to MobileMe's 90.

I wonder if this will work with the iPhone?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
There's a number of hosted Exchange providers. It would work with the iPhone as long as they're willing to add your device to their ActiveSync system on their Exchange server. But you only get 1GB of space, compared to Me's 20GB, the web-based mail/calendar aren't as good as Apple's, and "yourname@mail2web.com" is possibly even stupider than "yourname@me.com" (not to mention longer).

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I looked into this too. It's cheaper, but you don't get the other features that MobileMe offers. MobileMe gives you online hard drive space, webhosting, gallery and other neat features.

The mail2web package is just email as far as I can tell. They are basically offering you a hosted outlook account. You should get all the benefits of setting up outlook on you computer (windows only), the web version of outlook, and activesync to keep you mobile phone synced up.

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
It really isn't that much cheaper, either. You can still get .mac (which will be considered a valid subscription to mobileme) from amazon for under 80$. Apple offers a better package, I think.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
There's a number of hosted Exchange providers. It would work with the iPhone as long as they're willing to add your device to their ActiveSync system on their Exchange server. But you only get 1GB of space, compared to Me's 20GB, the web-based mail/calendar aren't as good as Apple's, and "yourname@mail2web.com" is possibly even stupider than "yourname@me.com" (not to mention longer).

mail2web can be used with any email account as far as I know. I use it for free to check my work email outside of the office. You don't need a mail2web account.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Well i'm buying a MBP soon, so ill just get mobileme so i get a cool email address, 20GB of storage, and the iCoolness all in one.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
nyone know if me.com can push other email to you? I.e. Gmail and aol mail

It could work, but there will be one problem involved. You could always setup your other mail to forward to you mobileme email address so that it pushes. The problem lies with the fact that if you reply via your phone, the from address cannot be changed. People will see your mobileme address in the from field instead of the email address they originally sent it to.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I know it's not as iCool as some of the other apple products, but here is an interesting find:
http://services.mail2web.com/Mobility/EnhancedEmail/

Since Jobs was saying that MobileMe was a 'personal exchange', I entered that into google to see what would come up. The site above is charging ~60/yr as opposed to MobileMe's 90.

I wonder if this will work with the iPhone?

Buy dotMac/MobileMe from Amazon instead of Apple and it's closer to the mail2web price. Amazon's prices fluctuate many times during the day. Right now dotMac is $78 or $130 for a family pack. I bought it for $124 for a family pack the day of the WWDC keynote, single license was about $70 at that time. The extra $10 a year is worth it for all the other features in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.