Interesting App alternatives?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Abazigal, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hi all,

I am wondering what apps you are currently using as replacements for the IOS stock apps, and why.

While I am getting by with the default iphone/ipad apps, I sometimes wonder what I might be missing out. I am currently dithering between chrome/gmail vs safari/mail, as I find that each has their own fair share of benefits and limitations. For instance, gmail has a sleeker interface, but lacks a unified inbox. Chrome has swipe, easier access to incognito, but no reader or full-screen landscape, and actually feels a tad slower and more unstable.

I am trying evernote in place of notes, and while it is much more versatile, it is also a tad more cumbersome for when I just want to quickly note something down.

I also alternate between youtube and jasmine. Youtube has a better interface (see the trend?) but no background airplay and tends to lag even on home wifi.

What about you all? :)

2. flight macrumors regular

I like to use the Dropbox app instead of Apple's iCloud service to auto-upload my camera photos, screenshots, and saved images so that I can easily view them easily on my non iOS/Mac devices.

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I use Evernote instead of the standard notes app. Many more options. Shareable, sync-able across platforms and devices. An all-around great app.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

The one app that I never open (unless it's by mistake) since trying an alternative is Calendar. I use Week Cal instead.

Also, I started using PodCruncher before there was a standalone stock podcast app, and the stock app didn't impress me so I stuck with PodCruncher.

And, of course, being on iOS 6 I use Google Maps instead of the stock app, but I don't really see it as an alternative since it's the previous standard ;)

I've tried Evernote, but I just can't like it. I don't need anything other than a notepad with quick access, so all those options and everything isn't for me.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Definitely read up in the Apps subforum.