Interesting Article about differences between Blu-ray and iTunes Hi-Def Downloads

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Spymit007, May 13, 2009.

1. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe Apple can work on that.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I don't deal with 720p at all as I don't really see much difference between than and good ol' UK 576i/p. The only HD I buy is 1080p stuff, but I'm not too fussed about it being compressed so if Apple offered that (and BT offered us a faster connection) then I'd be happy. But for now I'm sticking with BluRay and HD-DVD.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

More interesting would have been if they compared compressed vs uncompressed at the same resolution since there's no way of knowing how much the difference was due to the compression or resolution.

5. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I am sure the quality difference won't last for long. Much like CDs, Dvds are going away. BlueRay or not, everyone loves the convenience of just hitting play on our 'tv' hardrive. The more business's like Netflix and Appletv offer HD downloads, the quicker they will improve in quality.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In my opinion this question would have been more accurate if it read "Do you buy movies because of deleted scenes, do you buy movies because of other special features, both or neither factors?"

I think you would see far fewer respondents for special features but about the same for deleted scenes. I know some people are major movie buffs and want to hear the commentaries. But I have never seen anyone I know view these extra features. However, I and most of my friends will choose a movie with the cut scenes over those without the cut scenes included if available at the same time for the same price.

I always try to get the extended edition since I want to see the whole movie. Not the last minute chop job to meet the movie theater demands.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Well, duh.

BD video is encoded at 40Mbps, iTunes video is encoded at what, 4Mbps?

Even on a 720p screen, that BD video is going to look better than the iTunes HD download. They're both encoded in variations of H.264, so it's not like they're using altogether different compression, either.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

What are you guys on?! iTunes looks way better then blu-ray!:rolleyes:

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Another reason for Apple to include Blu-Ray drives. The difference is clear. They can't keep a superior technology down by not including it. Consumers will just pass them by...

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

thanks for sharing the link.

Unfortunately, with only 25 ppl surveyed, it's not that helpful.
    I thought it was a link containing some technical differences.

It's an interesting paradigm b/c folks seem to be willing to give up visual (and what most ppl forget about BR) AUDIO quality for convenience.

I've rented some movies on atv, but nothing sci-fi or action. some movies will just get the BR treatment from me for my eyes and ears to enjoy.

I do think that Apple will somehow come up with a dloadable 1080P similar format.

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Well, since they essentially are using very similiar codecs (iTunes & BD), it's just a matter of jacking up the bitrate and setting the resolution to 1080. There's nothing technically difficult or limiting about that. I imagine the reason Apple is using that much lower bitrate is simply due to size. What's limiting the size is the lack of bandwidth. If the average American (iTunes home market) had pipes as big as say, the Swedes or the Koreans have, then this would be a non issue as you could easily encode at a much higher bitrate and still have a file that downloads in a reasonable amount of time.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have a 720p set and although the picture is quite awesome it doesn't come close to its 1080p cousin.

Not all 1080p blu-rays are created equally either

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The stuff I read before I bought an HDTV set mentioned the size of the screen as a factor. At 42 inches it was said that there is little that most would see between 720P and 1080P.

Don't have BlueRay yet... but the HD content I have seen so far on my 42 inch plasma looks good enough to me :)

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Youd think that....

That may be the case when people actually give a damn about bluray.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am hearing that so far from customers in my store that are looking for HD camcorders... most don't know what Blueray is or how to do it....

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well there's that, and the fact that plasmas are better. They're (a lot) more expensive, and they're being phased out by Pioneer (I think), one of the biggest makers of plasma, but all the video quality junkies are buying up the last of the big screens.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I you have a chance, go see a Blu-ray disc played back on one of Samsung's new LED TV model LCD panels that use LED backlighting. It's so amazingly clear and sharp that it can easily compare with plasma panels, but the power consumption is way under that of any conventional LCD panel.

Given the extreme sharpness and color clarity of these new panels, the poorer picture quality of the highly-compressed 720p picture downloaded through the iTunes Music Store will be quite evident.