Interesting Article on Jailbreaking, but one part has me worried!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by leons, Sep 9, 2010.

1. leons macrumors 6502

2. bigddybn macrumors member

Settle down. What everyone calls "jailbreaking" has already been ruled completely legal and Apple cannot justify disabling a device for which the user rightfully owns just becuase they are not happy with HOW the device is used. The outcry would be MASSIVE and swift.

Apple can do nothing but refuse to support a "jailbroken" (god I hate apple terms, retina display my ass) ipod/pad/phone.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

In refusing to support a jailbroken device though...couldn't they theoretically not let you connect to the app store or sync through itunes? I think that doing both of those things are in a way "supporting" the device.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

no they won't do that, they want your money....:rolleyes:

5. ajax43 macrumors regular

Is "jailbroken" an Apple term, or a jailbreak community term? I really don't know.:D

6. RobBookPro macrumors regular

I believe that patent has been grossly overstated.

Apple do not want to detect and disable jail broken devices. They want a technology which will detect unauthorized use, such as a stolen device, and disable it for the owners sake. The phone will disable itself with no intervention by apple. If the phone has enough reasons to believe it has been stolen, it will switch off to prevent data being stolen.

This is no more about apple disabling devices as the "find my iPhone" is about apple tracking you with black helicopters.

7. RobBookPro macrumors regular

Jailbreaking is a community term I believe.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It's a UNIX term, the userland of the iPhone is what is known on UNIX/BSD as chroot jail, where the new "root" user of the jail doesn't have access to the "real" root - more here -

So braking that "jail" and getting access to the real root is call "Jailbraking"