interesting batter problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skeeterv8, Sep 13, 2011.

1. skeeterv8 macrumors newbie

I have a black macbook that I have had for the past 3 years. A week ago it randomly shutoff when unplugged but worked fine when I plugged it back in. I searched online for the battery problem and the one with X's and none showed up. It works fine when plugged in but the battery does not charge (check the battery status and it is good). Brought it to the genius bar.. nothing (tried the reset thing and a different battery). So quick story short, am I better off getting a new macbook or possibly bringing it in and getting the SMC (?) replaced?

Heres a screen shot when I check the battery status:
    [​IMG]

thanks!:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't replace the SMC; you reset it. There are 3 major components of battery charging that should be checked, if resetting the SMC doesn't help: the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the logic board.

Read the CHARGING section in the link below. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. session101 macrumors regular

i don't see a problem with your SS, post up the percent and lets see where you are at?

4. skeeterv8 thread starter macrumors newbie

the guy at the genius bar checked all three and none worked.

heres a screen shot of the battery status:
    [​IMG]

5. session101 macrumors regular

so what did he suggest?
    did he try a new battery? new ac adapter?

6. skeeterv8 thread starter macrumors newbie

he suggested bringing it in to get checked out but if its the cpu or something it might cost over 700 in parts but I was seeing if anyone else has had the same problem/fix?

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Wait. Did you take it into Apple or not? :confused:

If a different (working) battery wasn't charging using a different power source and charger, then yes it seems as though it's something more sinister (read expensive) than just replacing a battery.

Take it in and see what the quotes are to fix it, but if it's anywhere near 700, you're betting off buying a new/refurbished MBP.

8. session101 macrumors regular

i have the same problem and i think im going to goto apple too

my macbook is now only starting to charge when i wipe the ac connector with an alcohol wipe and then it charges, but if i don't wipe it then it only runs on AC power but the battery does not slowly discharge either...

i don't know what to do

9. skeeterv8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I brought it to the genius bar. They said they won't fully know unless if I leave it with them and they run some tests. He said it might be in the 300-700 range but not certain and that I might loose all data in the process. Might try and take advantage of the student discount while I can...:(

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Back up everything you've got on an external and let them keep it for a day or two to run diagnostics. Once you've got a better price in mind you can make a better decision.

Perhaps you could still sell it off on ebay/craigslist or look into the recycling program ( http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/ ) and get a gift card to use on your next purchase if it's a pricey fix.

11. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Plug the computer into the wall, and turn it off (you can actually do this while it's on, but you're going to loose whatever is unsaved). While plugged in, press LEFT SIDE - SHIFT + CTRL + OPTION and the power button at the same time. The magsafe power light will blink orange and then green (or the reverse) if done correctly. Boot up the computer normally after that, and try charging the battery once more.

12. session101 macrumors regular

i did this but it does nothing, mine still blinks orange then goes to the barely visible green, im gonna make a trip to the mac store to see what they say...

13. session101 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

After my apple appointment the diagnosis for me is the ac adapter is bad, he plugged his newer style one in and it worked like a charm. So I'm gonna place an order for a new charger

My problem was MacBook not charging but running on ac power when plugged in, only gave me a faint green light.