Interesting Battery Observation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oshawkss, Apr 12, 2014.

1. oshawkss macrumors newbie

Within the past year I've noticed that all iOS devices have a battery calibration problem meaning that if you charge up the device, use it and let it drop till 97 percent then restart it you'll find the reading is back at 100 percent and stays there.

I've had this issue with almost every IOS device I've ever owned and always attributed that with peoples perception of lousy battery life sometimes.

Just recently I purchased the little adapter so I can use a micro USB cable with my iPhone. I then found myself with no iPhone charger and had to use my blackberry playroom charger using the adaptor. I then noticed that the problem I've discussed above didn't happen this time. And so I tried this with very other iOS device I have using the same blackberry charger and about 20 charges in and perfection Each time.

I'm thinking there maybe something that the apple chargers do differently ?

Over all thanks to this finding I've been getting good battery life and a perfectly calibrated battery

2. CPx macrumors 6502

I just noticed this this morning actually.

Wait so are you saying using an Apple cable gives you the weird 97-100 reading, or the opposite? I'm using a third-party Apple-certified cable with my phone. But the dongle that plugs into the wall is Apple.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The battery itself is calibrated fine, iOS just displays a semi-accurate estimate. The difference between 97% and 100% is minor.

I turned the percentage indicator off and charge my phone when it gets low.

4. oshawkss thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a blackberry charger that has a non removable cable. That's possible using the tiny adapter apple sells in it's store to convert a microUSB to lighting.

Could be my imagination but I'm almost certain my battery life is much better or at least better calibrated due to this

5. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

This

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Comparing the battery level at the near full charge side isn't that useful. Better if you monitor overall usage time when using each cable. Doubt you'll see a difference. but hey only one way to find out.

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

qft