Interesting Best Buy info ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kcsr, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kcsr macrumors member

I finally scored a NIB iPad 2 today ... paid $775 premium for a 16GB Verizon 3G model. Guy I bought it from told me that he found two of them on the shelf at the local Best Buy yesterday. He provided the receipt and it does confirm that he bought it yesterday at Best Buy. Interestingly, this is the same Best Buy location that had a waiting list of 125 the day before (3/18) according to the store employee I spoke with at length. So, I am guessing that either a) none of those 125 people wanted a 16GB Verizon 3G model, or b) that BB location has filled all 125 pre-orders, or c) they filled all pre-orders for the 16GB Verizon 3G model. Either way, I'm posting this thread for those of you who are still looking so you'll know that your local BB might have some in stock. :)

2. triplecore1 macrumors member

Personally I feel that best buy isn't following their commitments. Since they know most pre order customers are going to buy from them anyways why not make them wait a little longer and sell the iPads to walk in customers. No one will know and it's hard to prove. In my case the best buy store says they haven't got one iPad in since launch day. I find that a bit hard to leave.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Fixed it for you.

I have a pre-order in at BB too. I too was told they haven't received any iPads since launch day. When I spoke to a manager about that today, he said the person who told me that was likely referring to the specific 32GB AT&T iPad I had pre-ordered. In fact he said, they had not received a single one of those, but they had received other models. Nice loophole.

This is the second anecdote I've read about BB selling to a walk-in, but in both cases, the iPad was a 16gb Verizon.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The only reason you think this is because you want your iPad haha.

There is no way a best buy store is stupid enough to disappoint their customers in that way. There is no benefit for them to sell it to someone in store rather than fulfilling their reservations. I know my local store has legitimately not seen a single iPad since they sold out of the 19 they received on day one.

Edit: also wouldn't surprise me at all if it is just that there is not a lot of Verizon demand.

5. triplecore1 macrumors member

Yes you are correct I am a bit frustrated kind of like a impatient kid. If I had my iPad I wouldn't have said that. Sorry guilty for being human.

Good thing I am not a politician or I would be sued for slander. Haha

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Haha I would be upset also.

I waited about 6 hours launch day since I was off and man am I glad I did!

7. triplecore1 macrumors member

To be honest I have no facts to support my statement I made it out of emotions. I'm just so impatient why BB hasn't called me then it turns to frustration. Then conspiracy to make myself feel better. Haha. I think were in the same boat with out iPad (I want a 64gb black ATT) so you know what I mean.

8. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

not that it necessarily matters, but i should note that this Verizon iPad was purchased at the Best Buy that is located literally one block from Sprint world HQ in Overland Park KS. lol

9. Built macrumors 68020

Best Buy doesn't keep iPad boxes "on the shelf." They keep them locked in a wire cage. Maybe that's what he meant...that he "saw" them locked in the cage, but if he told you specifically that he just found them on the shelf, there is something he is not telling you...just what, I do not know.

10. kcsr thread starter macrumors member

that may have been what he meant then. of course, i do see lots of similarly priced laptops and tablets all over the shelves there that are not locked in cages (just have anti-theft devices attached to them). they had iPad 1's sitting on the shelves last week, outside of cages, with just the anti-theft devices attached.

11. Built macrumors 68020

Hmmm...Interesting...Haven't seen that in the Best Buys I've visited...but could be...

12. CerealKillers macrumors member

Yea when I went to pick up my iPad my BB didn't have them in the wired cages but had them in a back room that was locked at all times. Now that's just my BB but I suspect most others prolly have done the same. He must have been really lucky to just have picked one up like that

13. Built macrumors 68020

Yeah...I agree...Really odd...To think they keep the cheap Asus netbooks locked up in the wire cages but leave the highly sought after iPads on the shelves?????

14. uruseiranma macrumors newbie

I believe it is the fact that noone really seems to want the Verizon iPad 2's.

They were all that was left when I left the line at the Apple Store on Saturday morning, and when I came back that evening, several store employees said they only had the black, 32gb Verizon models in stock.

My guess is these will soon be the most prevalent, with the Wi-Fi models coming in close second, and leaving the highest demand for the AT&T models (boy, I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about!).

15. Built macrumors 68020

I agree...Just based on what I am reading here and elsewhere, the Verizon iPads seem to be last ones sold. So much for "everyone" hating AT&T as many have said on this forum.

As for me, when the roar has died down, and initial production issues are resolved (maybe), then I may pull the trigger on an AT&T 64GB...and will keep my iPad 1 for home use and iPad 2 for travelling. While the changes are (to me) minor, I do like the new form factor.

16. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

My BB has only gotten in a handful of 16GB wi-fi models since the big release day. Am #3 on list for 64GB wi-fi and also for 64GB 3G verizon. Still nothing. figure I will take which ever one comes in. Since my phone is with verzion I went with that one. Better coverage, would hate to get stuck in cornfield in NE with my cousins, trying to use AT&T when they don't cover that area. My current ipad 1 is the AT&T but I have never hooked up the 3G, just got it not to long ago. Am torn between just cancelling my place in line since there seem to be so many problems/issues with them.

17. Dr99 macrumors member

What apple store was that? That's exactly the model I'm trying to find.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If some of you people would stop being so picky about which model iPad2 you want, you would have a better chance of getting one.

If not stop whining!

19. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I think the reason the Verizon iPads are the ones found in stock most often is the fact that the scalpers/foreign market resellers can't do anything with these models. Only the AT&T GSM and the wifi only models are useful overseas (where it seems a lot of iPad 2's are headed). The AT&T 3G models are SIM unlocked, meaning overseas buyers can use their own SIM cards in them. The Verizon models would be useless overseas, unless you sold them for wifi use only. But then the resellers would be paying a premium for the useless Verizon data capability ($130 upcharge), so these (the Verizon models) are only getting purchased by legit US buyers that intend to use them on Verizon's network.

20. MooseBlood macrumors member

On a totally unrelated note... I know a guy from my travels as a softball player that had a friend that worked at a Best Buy store in one of the Carolinas. The Wii was extremely difficult to get as many of you know. And I'm not talking about for a couple of weekends. I am talking about for months on end.

He somehow got his hand on at least 9 Wii's per shipment and claimed it was all legit and he paid full price. When questioned, he said he did stand in line.... but refused to acknowledge anything beyond paying for them.

The talk was that his friend would tell him when a shipment was in, and he'd either hurry and get in line and buy up the entire allotment (or at least his 9 or so units he wanted and leave enough to appease the next 10 or so people in line to make it look legit), would pay, and then would walk out with 1 unit, but would go get the rest in the back at a loading dock or car audio, or would come through and see his "friend" at in-store pickup 8 or 9 times over the course of a couple of days.

I watched him sell those things for a $100 markup each on the softball board to desperate parents and he must have sold well over 200 of them (literally). I saw pictures of his receipts to prove it was all "legit" and pictures of him with stacks and stacks of Wiis.

The fact was that best buy had a flaw in their system and had an employee and one of his friends that was exploiting it. When asked why he was doing it, he said he was providing a service because otherwise locals and his "softball friends" would have no chance so he did the line waiting. When asked what was in it for his friend he said that the guy wanted to make sure he was also helping (and something tells me he was pulling $25-$50 a pop to work with the guy).

I was so furious at the whole situation that I tried to call Best Buy and report it. Guess what they did? Nada. They just asked if I had a full name and store number, but I told them no, I know the city it is happening in and I can tell them exactly what is happening so they can check it out and make it stop. It never stopped. And that is why I get so sick of the "big releases" and all of those who justify creeps who do this stuff. He took hundreds out of hands of locals and drove up the price. Who is to say that somebody else in line wouldn't have been reselling? Nobody of course. But the fact that he had a friend that was apparently a manager that was letting Best Buy work as the supplier for his secondary business is disgustworthy.

21. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Why settle for something you didn't want. Makes no sense. This is not a cheap item, it is $500 or more.

22. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

My sentiments exactly. I don't understand how some people are willing to spend that kind of money on just any iPad configuration, even if it's not that one they REALLY want. But, I guess if you're rich, $500-$830 is nothing to you. Me, on the other hand, a college intern, can not afford to be so wasteful.

23. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

True but, you can always resell it later and get the model you really want. So you really want a 16GB AT&T model but all you can find is a 16GB wifi. So buy the 16 GB wifi and then when you find the model you really want, resell the one you didn't want. You won't lose much money.

I know I saw this a lot with iPad 1. A lot of people got the wifi ones and then when the 3g ones came out, they sold their wifis to buy the 3g. Most of them were able to do this without losing any money because they were hard to come by and there was a 2 to 3 week wait online. People were willing to pay retail price for open / used iPads. And right now people are willing to pay large premiums on new in box iPads so I don't see why they wouldn't pay retail for used but in perfect condition.

24. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Touché, I never thought about it like that. That's actually an excellent idea.