Interesting comments from Tim Cook on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Businessweek published the entire interview with Tim Cook. I found his comments on the next chapter of Apple and :apple:Watch interesting. Leads me to believe Apple isnsaving some stuff for a launch keynote and perhaps that's when the "why" will become more clear.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-interview-on-iphone-6-and-the-apple-watch#p1

You talked about the next chapter in Apple’s story. Describe that transition: From what to what?
    The next chapter for us is about personal devices, about something that’s even more personal than what we had before. And I think the watch is a great place to start that. And it has a lot of tentacles. It has a health and fitness component that we’re really excited about. It has an intimacy in connection and communication that we’re really excited about. It has the ability to control things. I’m using Apple TV as an example, but you might use your imagination on where that can be.

Home appliances, perhaps … ?
    And because you’re not searching for yet another object in your home to get to, this is an object that’s attached to you. There’s loads of things that you can do with it.

The list that we’ve come up with is really long. But frankly speaking, as we open it up for developers, it’s going to get a lot longer, because they’re going to come up with things that we haven’t even begun to think about.

And of course, we have iBeacon over on the side that a lot of people have forgotten about—a very interesting technology that we’re using in our stores. And you can imagine a future connection there that is interesting.

2. SHNXX macrumors 68000

yeah I agree. that was pretty interesting.

someone has already pointed out that apple probably didn't hire than designer guy to design new macbook airs.
    perhaps more interesting devices are coming.
    I don't want apple to become samsung and start selling laundry machines and microwaves but it would be interesting if apple released devices like the nest thermostat.'

for one thing, i would definitely buy a wrist bracelet version of the apple watch.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Problem is Tim Cook speaks utter garbage.

Listen to what he says here, then consider what the facts are against his initial BOLD statement, which is the one people will have stuck in their heads:

His statement at 35 seconds in:

"We've just finished a study and we have created over a Million US Jobs"

Which you think WOW well done. And that's the number that will stick in many people's mind.

He then goes onto basically destroy any validity in that statement, by saying that number is including people who write software for the iPad, iPhone, The Mac computers and now the watch.

That's like Microsoft saying we've created a billion jobs as a billion people have writtin PC programs from pro companies, to someone in their bedroom.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'm not sure what this has to do with his comments on :apple:Watch. :confused:

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

All this says is that the watch has potential to do things. He is referencing the possibilities of what it can control.

I really hope apple isn't planning on several new "personal" devices. I don't think they have the resources to support a whole lot more than they currently have on their plate.

And i doubt they held much back in the announcement. It's possible, but I don't think you show so many gimmick features if you have better things on tap. That, I hope I am wrong about. I hope they have something killer to show at launch, but I am skeptical, since I think they have the wrong idea of what a watch is.

6. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I don't disagree with you but what is your assessment of their opinion on what a watch is and what do you think it should be?

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Means not to trust a dam thing he says on the watch or anything.

He makes a BOLD memorable claim, then you find out whilst not actually a lie, it's nothing like the statement.

Why I shall wait and see reality and not take any notice of his bold statements on products that are planned to mislead.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Reading your many posts on the aWatch forum it seems you are moving from paranoid skepticism into gapping cynicism. :D

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No No No.

Just I don't think the Apple Gold Watch will be anything like the $5000 some people are imagining as I think Apple is a company that wants to sell to the masses, and at a price point a bit higher than normal but still within the sensible reach of many.

I probably do question it's current success as unlike a phone, or a tablet, it's not really filling a need many have, other than sports people.
    This may change, but I feel it needs to be more than we see now, and iPhone accessory.

Tim Cook is a company spokesman who delivers great BOLD STATEMENTS that are stretching feasibility, but he delivers them in a VERY calm and trusting way that it's hard to remember this.

I don't dislike the Apple Watch. I think it's a very interesting product.
    But then I love gadgets for gadgets sake, I'm not a typical consumer.

I think there is going to be a fair amount of waiting for the next version going on. And a lot of buying from many also, followed by a sense of why did I buy this thing for quite a few after the novelty has worn off, more so as it need you to have your phone on you anyway.

I'm sure there IS a future in this type of device, but again, as I said before, I'd like to see it become more independent, not just an accessory

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think a watch is something you glance at. I don't see it as something you spend more than a few seconds with at a time. I don't think people want to stare at their wrist for directions or looking through photos. In general, a watch is a quick look and forget experience. The only exception is working out, but even then it's more of a quick check then download stats afterwards. I think this is why smart watches in general won't take off. Anything that takes more than a few seconds might as well be done with your phone.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

Think about it, other than a quick glance for ease of use, you generally use the best item you have 'To Hand' to perform a task

You use your iPad on the train or coach when you are travelling even though you have an iPhone with you.

At home, you will use your mac or PC unless it needs turning on and you need something simple, or you just want to check a mail and you don't want to get up from your chair.

You are right, you are in a meeting, or running, or whatever and you glance at your watch to see the time, perhaps your heart rate/how far you have run, or with a smart watch an appointment or message may pop up.

All good.

The problem is. with the watch, you have your phone with you anyway.

People will struggle with a not perfect device if it's all they have or if it's convenient, hence the use an iPhone rather than walk upstairs to your iMac, the iPhone is harder, to write, but hey it's easy and Ive got it on me, so I'll make do.

Again, the Watch means you need to be carrying the Phone.

Are you could to spend time staring at a 1.5" screen fiddling with the wheel etc etc, when you can just reach into your pocket 'now you know there is a message to answer' and use the phone.

Tricky

If the phone was a solo device and it's all you have, well, you make do with the tiny screen and struggle a bit and make do.
    but that's not the case. Your phone is in your pocket. Why struggle when in under 3 seconds you have your hand in your phone to do the task much better and easier.

Watch to tell the time yes.
    Watch to monitor your body yes.
    Watch to alert you to things you need to deal with yes.

Watch to use to deal with those issues when a device with a 5" screen is 2 or 3 seconds from your grasp.

that's the tricky one.

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple created the hardware, the OS, the developer tools, the app store, they process payments, the sales, deliver the software to customers, they help with promotion and the marketing, they make payments to developers. Trying to claim this is equivalent to what Microsoft did with Windows and the market for PC software is ridiculous.

I think what Tim Cook says is entirely fair. Apple has played a major role in the creation of those jobs.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If I am a new car maker and come to your state and build a factory I can proudly tell you that I have created 1000 jobs.

If I am a new Tim Cook car maker and come to your state and build a factory I can then tell you I have created 10,000 jobs.

There are the people I employ.
    My cars also need fixing, so the garages have taken on more staff to cover that, People like to buy accessories for my cars, so some companies have started up making accessories, My cars need tyres, the tyre people have taken on extra staff, and so it goes on and on and on......