Interesting cryptic discussion with apple store employee when returning imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hipnotizer, Apr 22, 2011.

1. hipnotizer macrumors regular

Me-"Yes, Hi, I would like to return this imac for store credit"

Apple Employee"Absolutely I see you are within 14 days of original purchase. I would be more than happy to do that for you. May I ask why you wish to return it?"

Me-"Rumor has it that imac will be refreshing soon. Thunderbolt and sandybridge appeal to me so I am really interested in waiting for the new models to come out"

Apple Employee"We have to sign contracts when we become employed stating that we cannot tell you certain things, I can however say that thunderbolt is a great technology that is certainly worth waiting for. And GOOD things come to those who wait...And sometimes the wait is more than worth it and not all that long."

So he certainly dropped a few hints. Now I have my new imac prepaid for with and apple card/store credit card that is sitting in my safe under lock and key.

Can't wait.

2. simsaladimbamba

And another thread.
    Apple Store Employees don't have any insights into Mac refreshes, so it was more speculation on his or her part.
    But it is more than likely that the iMac will get TB and Sandy Bridge. Otherwise we would be ****ed, especially with all those threads appearing on ThinkSecret.

3. archer75 macrumors 65816

Family member works for an apple store. If he knew something he'd have no problem telling me.

Thing is, he has no clue. Not until he gets to work in the morning as is allowed to then open the recent shipments on the day they go on sale.

Even should a large shipment be sitting in the back they can't open it until allowed to do so.

4. Travis Bickle macrumors member

so. none the wiser then?

move along, nothing to see here!!

:rolleyes:

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have sincere doubts that nobody else in the world has a confirmed release of new iMacs but this guy. Please, don't take his speculation as fact.

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yesterday, the "Genius" who ****ed up the dust behind the glass on my iMac worse than it was earlier told me that the new iMacs will run on Leprechaun juice™. He didn't tell me how to extract said juice though :(

I think he was lying, who has spare leprechauns just lying around? They might sell it separately on release day.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Apple employee could not come forward and tell you he is a lying idiot ... that was up to you to figure out.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless he prefaced the information with "the crow flies at midnight" the information is likely bogus.

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store employee probably read it in MacRumors.That would mean MacRumors is being used as a source for rumors posted on MacRumors. That's called a circular reference.

10. shtoat macrumors member

You can already get them here: www.whogivesa****aboutthewhiteiphone.com

11. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

C'mon guys, the Apple Store employee isn't lying. There's nothing in what he said that suggests a refresh is just round the corner and he would know that for a fact.
    You can only detect hints there if you want to.
    I think he was just telling the OP that he agreed on the move and he'd probably do the same, and even if he knew, he wouldn't be allowed to reveal anything. Now what's wrong with that?

12. WalcomTV macrumors member

Freaky. This is so true.

13. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ

What if that meant the new iMac is just another myth, until like 5 more months!?:eek:

14. WalcomTV macrumors member

This on Page 1 of MacRumors: "No new iMac for another five months, says MacRumors."

15. hhaydenn macrumors regular

I would probably cry..

16. InsanelyApple, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

That would make my day actually. That would be so funny. :D

17. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Sounds to me like he was telling you what you wanted to hear.

You were the one who mentioned Thunderbolt. So he said it's a good tech.

You were the one who said it was refreshing "soon". So he said good things come to those who wait and may not have to wait that long (i.e. soon).

I don't see any speculation in what he said. Rather, just telling you what you were expecting to hear.