Interesting day with my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berkleeboy210, Jan 31, 2008.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Ok, so I have a White Macbook 2ghz Core 2 Duo. --- You may recall my posting a few days back about wanting to upgrade the hard drive and RAM.

So Last night, as I do every night I put the computer to sleep, very rarely do I shut it down.

Open it up this morning, and it's taking forever for Safari and Mail to open, then I get the beachball spinning, and I hear some clicking noises going on inside. So I do a hard restart and all I get is the grey screen, not even an apple logo to come up.

so i start thinking "oh crap". Luckily was able to get over to an apple store during my lunch break, hard drive died. lost a paper that was due today for class. fortunately i was still under warranty, so they were able to do a replacement of the drive in store and get her up and running again.

I should mention that I do have an external drive, that I keep all my 50gb worth of iTunes stuff and iPhoto library in so thank god those are all backed up. But the one time I don't back up a paper, the drive fails :(

Regardless, still a scary day. First time in my 4 years of owning a mac that my hard drive has fried. Actually, first time i think using any type of computer.

Just glad she's up and running again, and now i have 5 days to write this paper again!

I guess I should start shutting down my machine completely at night now?

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I don't know if shutting it down or not had anything to do with that. I hardly ever shut mine down and I've never had problems, and I recall a thread where people were others were saying they hardly ever shut theirs down either.

3. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

If I'm not mistaken, the hard drive will stop when the computer is put to sleep or the screen is closed.