Interesting discoveries about the Unibody MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrianRecchia, Jun 20, 2009.

1. BrianRecchia macrumors newbie

You know how unless it's plugged into an aluminum iMac, the USB ports on the Apple Aluminum Keyboard can barely power anything? (I have flash drives that don't work on it.) Well apparently it has nothing against charging my iPod touch 2G (side note: educational discounts are awesome) while plugged into the MacBook Pro. I'd assume this is the same for the Unibody 13" MacBooks that the Pro replaced, since they're almost exactly the same apart from the battery and ports, and I'm guessing this also works on the other Unibody MacBook Pros.

Also of note is that its USB ports supply power while it's sleeping. I can put it to sleep, throw it in my bag, and connect a USB cable to my iPod touch while it's in there, and the iPod will keep charging. I'm relatively new to Apple hardware (the last real Mac I've had was a Mac mini 1.25 GHz G4) but I know this must be relatively new, since my friend's white MacBook won't charge his iPhone while sleeping.

2. doreabe macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that your macbook pro will wake from sleep when a USB device is inserted or removed.

3. BrianRecchia thread starter macrumors newbie

It does, but if I have the iPod plugged in and charging while I put it to sleep, it'll go back to sleep with the iPod still charging.