Interesting Email Observation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackajesusfreak, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

New user here. I notice that when I receive email on my Mac, read it, delete and/or save accordingly. They will still show up on my ISP server when I go to the email program on my Windows PC and vice versa. If I go to the Windows PC first, they still show up on my Mac email.
    Jack

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, it will do this if you use something like POP3 to receive email. Not really your best option. I would move to at least IMAP if you can, then the email boxes can remain in sync.

3. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

I have pop on both my windows PCs and they are both in sync. Using Mac's installed email program. Not sure how POP3 on a Mac would be different than the 2 Windows PCs??

4. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

If you are using POP3, some machine has to be in charge of deleting the email. It can be immediate, or after some period of time. No folders, etc.

What ISP/server?

5. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

DSL Century Link, former Embarq. I think I understand what you are saying, but before when I had a Windows Desktop, Laptop, and Netbook, whichever machine I checked mail and deleted them, they were deleted off the server and if I then went to one of the other 2 machines, it would not show them there after they were deleted. Not true for the Mac now. If I check on the Mac and delete, they will show up if I go to the desktop or vice versa.
    Jack

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There are settings in Mail preferences that pertain to your Account. There are settings as to how it should handle messages on the server.