Interesting feature from Yahoo Review

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cmChimera, Apr 8, 2015.

1. cmChimera, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This is awesome, and probably what Kevin Lynch was talking about on March 9.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-apple-watch-half-computer-half-jewelry-115815015484.html

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is how it would have to work.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

And that'll mean a lot of people in this board are wrong. :)

Interesting.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Awesome! Which seems to mean that at home or at work (where I have wifi), I don't need my phone at all - I can use my watch for notifications.

It's all I really use a phone for. I make about 1 call a day, about 20 text messages a day, watch email, and some notifications. I can do that (all except for making the phone call) with my phone still in my car.

6. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Yes. There seems to have been this growing implication that the watch is going to use wifi to connect directly to the phone. It won't. It will use Bluetooth for that. But it will connect to various service via wifi, and also to the phone over a known wifi network. Why? Because now you can wander around your whole house, well outside the range of BTLE.

The next few months are going to be chock full of people having their expectations exceeded with this device. Apple has been so incredibly understated in their claims. It's going to be fun!

7. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Or it could mean it does BOTH - talks to the phone if no wifi is present, and talks to wifi when no phone is present.

8. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Yeah they just won't be posting in this thread

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

:D

(Well, I'm wrong many times so this is not me blaming them.)

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

TBH, there hasn't been any public information backing up that a Watch could access known wifi hotspots until now, and the official Apple statements have inferred it was a direct connection to your phone.

It may indeed be a direct connection to your phone when the two are in range of each other for all we know. There just isn't enough information available, someone needs to take a packet sniffer to these devices to truly find out what's going on... :p

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

They have already said that it would connect directly to a router so that it can communicate with a phone that is out of Bluetooth Range, but on the same WiFi network (for example, I often leave my phone in my home office, which is in the basement at one end of the house. Luckily, my Pebble reaches the far side of the house - only just barely.)

13. durangojim macrumors member

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for clarification on this and couldn't find any reviewers mentioning it.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The general consensus was that it would connect to your phone, which is connected to a wifi network....not that it would actually connect to the wifi networks itself.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm posting because I said it worked over wi-Fi before and people were like "noes! you are wrong!" :)

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yep. There has been a ton of stuff saying that if watch and phone are on the same Wi-Fi then you extend the range. I will be able to leave my phone in the gym locker because of that. If the watch is on Wi-Fi I can see it is possible to do a little more without the phone needed. I will likely not need that myself because my iPhone 6+ has a pretty long life.

17. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

But how? iCloud Keychain? Or will it 'sync' with your iPhone's data via the Apple Watch App?

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You'll likely give permission for the watch to do this through the app.

19. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It must "borrow" the connection details from your iPhone, including password, and connect seamlessly behind the scenes. I speculated on this twice before and no one commented on it. :D

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Umm, doesn't sound like it can do that, since most notifications come from the phone.

Real SMS text messages, or internet iMessages? Real SMS require a phone.

Also doesn't sound like it's going to get email.

Sounds like it only does things that rely on a connection to an Apple server (?)

Nevertheless, being independent in any way is a good thing. It was one of my favorite features of my 2010 WiMM watch... it sync'd RSS feeds, time, you name it, over WiFi without needing a phone at all.

21. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

But what about non-cellular iPads? Mine can still send and receive real SMS now??

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Only if you've set up Continuity SMS Relay through your iPhone.

(Your iPad can only send/receive blue internet iMessages over WiFi. To talk over green SMS, your phone is required. With SMS relay, your ipad sends an iMessage to Apple, who relays it to your phone, which then sends an SMS text to the recipient. And vice versa.)

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It would depend if it's a pushed notification from an iPhone app or if you had the watch app installed I would assume.

----------

Not quite.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Yeah, despite Apple's tech specs clearly stating it has 802.11b/g wifi.

25. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Apple's tech specs don't always mean that it can do everything with that tech - just that the tech exists.

Apple's iPhone 6 has NFC - but it ONLY works with Apple Pay. A 3rd party application can't access the NFC chip.