Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
So I was just looking through System Profiler today and discovered my 24" is reporting that the GPU is...

A GeForce 7600GT w/ 256MB VRAM. :D

I wonder how many others are seeing this?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That's the upgrade card for that computer... Apple's past policy has been to sell customized computers that fall into the refurb pool as the base stock model ... so people have reported getting more RAM, bigger HD's, and better video cards. So you got a nice early Christmas present from Apple. Enjoy! :)

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
It is a BTO option, yes.. So I got a refurb'd that was originally a BTO.

There is fine print on the refurb page that says the software may be different (i.e., additional software on a case-by-case basis) but no mention of possible video upgrades.

But hey, no complaints :)

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
That's the upgrade card for that computer... Apple's past policy has been to sell customized computers that fall into the refurb pool as the base stock model ... so people have reported getting more RAM, bigger HD's, and better video cards. So you got a nice early Christmas present from Apple. Enjoy! :)

I'll take that! And it only took me a week to discover it! :p

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
awesome. I've heard of this happening quite a bit, but that's a really nice bonus because it wouldn't be otherwise upgradable. Congrats. :cool:

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I had the same discovery on my 20" C2D. I found out that the video card was upgraded to 256MB AND to my even greater delight, I found out that the processor was upgraded to a 2.33GHz Processor (I almost cried at this point)...now if I can just get rid of this damn stuck pixel (though I dont' care nearly enough to have it fixed). I love you Apple.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Great find Carman. No wonder your graphical apps are whizzing through with no problems. You're definately taking a chance with a refurb if you are actually wanting the card, as the system cannot be upgraded. You lucked out! Congrats

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I had the same discovery on my 20" C2D. I found out that the video card was upgraded to 256MB AND to my even greater delight, I found out that the processor was upgraded to a 2.33GHz Processor (I almost cried at this point)...now if I can just get rid of this damn stuck pixel (though I dont' care nearly enough to have it fixed). I love you Apple.

Wow! What a sweet find!

carman63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006

I thought I saw a stuck pixel, but if I did I can't see it now. Even so, I'd trade one stuck pixel for a free video upgrade :)

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
Exactly, one stuck pixel is well worth it in my opinion. It's nice to be able to run Doom3 at the highest quality with no drop in fps. I'm extremely happy, considering this was an early xmas present.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Well since your refurb was a BTO and there are no returns on these, you know something had to have been wrong with it...ha ha...but it is fixed now. All kidding aside, I am sure it is fine.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
Yeah, I don't care that much anyways. And actually, I thought that refurbished macs can still be returned within the 14 days no matter if they are BTO. I'm pretty sure that's how it is, but I could be wrong. Regardless, my 20" C2D isn't going anywhere, it would have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands first. lol. I'm so glad that I converted, Mac OSX with Mac hardware...it's like heaven

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You might be surprised at how many BTO's end up getting returned DOA because of some stupid loose connection by the BTO techs or a faulty
third party component.

In this case, you done good!

With refurbs, you get what THEY paid for. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.