Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anp27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So the temperature on my Mac Mini began steadily climbing higher and higher for reasons unknown to me, this started about 6 days ago. I even bought a small fan just for the Mini, which really did not help that much.

Today the temperature reached 80 degrees C and then I started to really worry... just had Safari open. I then decided to do some experimenting. I decided to use Thunderbolt instead of the HDMI connector for my external monitor. Reset the SMC and p-ram, as well as did an fsck repair. The temperature is back to where it was before, around 53 degrees C while using Safari.

So while I'm happy that things are back to normal, I'm a little puzzled why the temperature was higher when I used HDMI and lower now that I'm using Thunderbolt instead... anyone? I really hope the HDMI port isn't faulty or anything....

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
So the temperature on my Mac Mini began steadily climbing higher and higher for reasons unknown to me, this started about 6 days ago. I even bought a small fan just for the Mini, which really did not help that much.

Today the temperature reached 80 degrees C and then I started to really worry... just had Safari open. I then decided to do some experimenting. I decided to use Thunderbolt instead of the HDMI connector for my external monitor. Reset the SMC and p-ram, as well as did an fsck repair. The temperature is back to where it was before, around 53 degrees C while using Safari.

So while I'm happy that things are back to normal, I'm a little puzzled why the temperature was higher when I used HDMI and lower now that I'm using Thunderbolt instead... anyone? I really hope the HDMI port isn't faulty or anything....

You should have done this first before switching from HDMI to Thunderbolt...

Now when you plug back the HDMI, does it still heat up...?

anp27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You should have done this first before switching from HDMI to Thunderbolt...

I should have mentioned that I have gone the SMC Pram route before, but they did nothing to help with the situation.

Now when you plug back the HDMI, does it still heat up...?

I just tried using HDMI and the temperature goes up again. I'm convinced that HDMI is the problem. I've switched back to Thunderbolt.

So the question now is, is my HDMI faulty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.