Interesting gadget - a floppy disk feeder

weckart

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Spotted this browsing through eBay and I have never heard of such a thing before

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jukebox-Five-floppy-disc-changer-vintage-Apple-accessory-for-SE-II-series/233085219255

s-l1600.jpg

This holds up to five floppies and feeds them into and out of a MacSE or II on request. I remember when setting up both of my SEs that because of the lack of space on the internal 800k floppy drive, the boot files and partitioning software had to exist on two separate diskettes, which mean embarking on a swapping frenzy. Something like about twenty swaps until both Sytem 6 and the software (Lido 7.56) had loaded. I can't think, that aside, what could persuade someone to invest in something like this apart from maybe mutlti-disk games. The SE shipped either without a hard disk or with an optional 20MB HDD, which didn't leave a whole lot of room for software.

Has anyone ever used anything like this?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I remember floppy disk changers at the disk duplication house - but those were industrial sized and built like a tank - and were very cranky at the best of times.

But this is just odd.

"Requires 4x AA Batteries" o_O :confused:

Looks kind of crazy - I wonder how many were sold ? :cool: :D

MacUser_9110_October_1991_0188.jpg

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Ah those were the days.
Software came in cardboard boxes that weighed a couple kilos; a massive fat instruction manual and about 20 disks.

Can't say I miss them! :)

weckart

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
After attracting no interest during its 30 day listing, it was relisted. I post this thread and it gets snapped up pretty much straight away. So which of you went for it and why?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My very first job as a teenager was as a temp employee at a company that was about to roll out System 7 to dozen of offices/hundreds of computers. They had a site license from Apple, but needed many copies of the install floppies to send out to the offices.

I sat at a desk with two SEs with one of these each, all day, writing disk images from DiskCopy and labeling the disks.