Interesting GPS Feature for the iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kornyboy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I'm sure that I am not the first to discover this but I have noticed that the iPhone 3G will hold your current location in the center of the screen when you get directions in the Google Maps App. The way you do this is to allow the GPS find your location. Next you punch in the starting location and ending location so that it will map your route and click start. You can progress through the directions with the arrows at the top and if you notice the find my location button at yhe bottom left changes from blue to gray. If you tap that button, Google Maps will bring your current location back to the center and hold it there until you either deactivate it by tapping the button again or by veiwing the next step in the directions.

I'm pretty sure that this feature was in the original release of the 2.0 firmware but I just realized that it did this a few days ago while I was out of town and needed the to use the GPS heavily.

2. stevin macrumors regular

It has always been there. Very handy in the car.