Interesting i0n1c tweet....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Baggy Spandex, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Unsure if this flew under the radar....I caught it because it was retweeted by Musclenerd. I didn;t see a thread on it, so please forgive if it's a repost.

Take it as you may....

2. OceanView macrumors 65816

I've no use for this app but I've downloaded.
    Hope there is an easter egg in it. Could it be an unlock? Sure hope so.

3. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Definitely downloading it...doesn't hurt in the slightest.

4. antisoma macrumors regular

Looks like this might help us to jailbreak 5.1. Download, get iTunes to show in finder/windows explorer, and save a copy somewhere.

5. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

If It was important for the jailbreak why would he specifically say that it isn't? I don't really understand.. I don't think it could be use to jailbreak because A) not everyone is going to download the app and B) if they need to use it fr a jailbreak they couldn't distribute it anyways since its not theirs..

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It's called being a smarta55 towards Apple. It's what i0nic does.

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I can never tell if this guy is trolling or being serious.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Well, maybe this is why i0n1c posted it has nothing to do with 5.1 and will be deleted by Apple. Straight from the app description:

"Your contacts will be automatically added straight from your phonebook. No need to manually invite friends and have them approve you."

9. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Nice spotting. Probably just ionic being a tool, as per.

10. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU iPad OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why would KAKAOTALK be removed from the App Store?

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Violates Apple's new rules on apps accessing your contact info without your approval.

12. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

But surely if it's just to do with the contact book being uploaded, Apple will just make the company reissue the App, but with a prompt telling the user that their contacts will be uploaded?

Seems strange for him to tell us to download it without telling us what we're getting into

13. antisoma macrumors regular

Sarcasm?

Musclenerd suggested doing too. I'm listening.

14. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

But they'll bring it back of course.

15. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

if MN says it. do it. won't hurt to have the ipa sitting on your mac...

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

You Tube video makes this one look interesting.
    There are four or five apps from the same developer, all free, so to play it safe downloaded all of them.

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well I've downloaded it and put it safely into a folder until some more light is shed on this.

18. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

rumor is this app has a jailbreak exploit in it. that can/will be used for 5.1 jb

19. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

who knows now. maybe he is mad at the company and wants to make it look like they have an exploit so apple pulls it, and he wins?

Attached Files:

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I downloaded the app too. Hopefully it's something interesting. I made copy of it as well.

21. Ali. macrumors member

Downloaded to both my iPhone and iPad and backed up the .ipa.

Initially thought it was i0n1c stirring people up but after seeing MuscleNerds retweet and advice to back up the 2.8.8 version, it was enough to make me believe this is genuine.

Really curious as to what kind of vulnerability the app contains and why individual users have to download a copy themselves.

I'm guessing if/when its removed from the App store, all will be revealed.

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Like someone else said...MN retweeted it so I wouldn't take it lightly.

23. ne1for23 macrumors newbie

ne1for23

Glad to find this conversation concerning @i0n1c's tweets. I thought I was the only one finding it to have an edge of confusion/sarcasm/subtle hinting.

I'm slightly leaning towards this being something not jailbreak related, but can understand how things played out.

His recommendation to get a specific version of an app before Apple pulls it could have a few potential meanings:
    1. This specific version has a valuable exploit (perhaps the vulnerability allowing the placing of the "Absinthe" icon on home screen is patched and an alternate "signed" way is required to finish the jailbreak)
    2. This version violates an Apple rule in a manner in which makes the entire App no longer possible to keep in the App store. (think VLC licensing issue or various "tether" apps)
    3. This app has an Apple rule violation specific to this version of Kakao talk. If the vendor doesn't resolve the issue under Apple's terms, the app may be pulled until a newer version is approved. This may also imply that the violation may be a desirable feature (such as automatically building contacts from your entire address book in batch instead of making you approve them one by one)

All seem plausible, however, in searching i0n1c's tweets indicates he was watching which position it was in the US and German stores of iTunes (ranking). Why would he care about that if there was an exploit or violation involved? That sounds like the action of someone who cared more about the apps success or perhaps his impact on the app's popularity.

I think MuscleNerd may have become just as confused by i0n1c's tweet and assumed there was a jailbreak reason for downloading KakaoTalk messenger. Unfortunately, the "clarifying" retweet has only added to the confusion. It sounds like how someone would say "download this now world [so you have a copy signed to your Apple ID for use later], but Apple--there isn't any exploit in the app, move along". It could also just be as literal and mean "I like the app and think everyone should check it out before Apple decides to pull this version for violations [that are useful]".

Either way, I snagged the app--copied it outside of iTunes and am moving on. I already am happy with my messaging software.

24. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i hear ya...

whatever happens...im not leaving 5.0.1 EVER.

25. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing