Interesting idea for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tumeg101, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I just thought of something new they should add to iTunes... (i have a feeling this will get locked)
    But anyway.... there should be a "Get Lyrics" option, and iTunes will go find the lyrics and add them to the song... the same way "Get Album Artwork" works...

I just felt like posting this,

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It would be nice, but to do that they'd need to put lyrics into iTMS in the first place. That is actually my biggest complaint with iTunes: When I buy a CD, I get a lyric book. When I buy from iTunes, I occasionally get a PDF book but usually need to go hunting.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I think adding lyrics would be a great function, but what I really want is to get the book and back cover of the album. Thats what I love about CDs...

4. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

Awesome idea, the thought of that being made available for itunes has crossed my mind a few times, i absolutely hate going around looking for lyrics for a song, then finding them, then reading along as the song plays and then finding out there wrong or missing words. hmmm well im hopeing for this in the future....

5. kingpause macrumors newbie

Doesn't itunes get their actual album information (song titles, etc.) from cddb, and not the itunes store? I know it used to, maybe it doesn't anymore. In any case, I think the technology is there, it would just be a question of striking a deal with a lyric site that isn't just a spam-and-pop-up-trap (have you SEEN most of the lyric sites out there?). It's not something I would use personally, but the option would be nice for people who would.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with this as well, not to mention I believe their so-called digital book should truly be digital and suitable for viewing on the iPod.

7. vandlism macrumors 6502

8. ds252 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you like having the lyrics there at all times or what but finding lyrics on the internet isn't hard. Especially when you have firefox and foxytunes, if a song is playing in itunes then at the bottom bar you just click lyrics and it finds it for your.

9. vandlism macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the lyrics aren't standardized. Capitalization, justification, spelling, punctuation...it's really a toss-up of what you get.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are a bunch of applications that hunt for lyrics and import them...

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/q...h&str=itunes+lyrics&srchArea=macosx&submit=Go

I've never personally used any of them, though. :eek: Cantopod used to get a lot of recommendations. I think I've heard of people using one of the widgets. Does anyone use any of these?

It would be nice if Apple / GraceNote / the music industry could get it worked so that purchased songs had the lyrics in the tags already.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I use a widget called PearLyrics that automatically searches for lyrics when you play a song in iTunes (if there are no lyrics already for the song.) It will then paste in the lyrics into the song automatically.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

A better idea, and easier for Apple to implement, would be a beat counter.

Use it to create a smart list with songs >= 120bpm to get your heart pumping.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it'd be nice to get a PDF digital booklet with every album purchase. i wouldn't want the lyrics attached to the tags themselves.

14. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I really dont understand what you want album art, lyrics and little books for. Music is for the music not the advertiseing media.

15. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

We're talking about the albums as a whole here. Album art is often stunning. Just look at Abbey Road by The Beatles, that album cover is nearly as legendary as the music. Albums are part of the whole art piece, just as the music and the artist are.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

A lot of work goes into the artwork and packaging. This is partly why you won't find some artists available for download still. Tool for example always has some sort of unique pakage that would make the experience much different. I don't like missing out on these little details

17. vandlism macrumors 6502

You should check out Tangerine