Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
I've been searching around for a way to remove the menubar transparency, and came across a few interesting bundles that contain all the UI elements.

There appears to be a new Private framework called "CoreUI", in
System->Library->PrivateFrameworks->CoreUI.framework.

In the "Resources" folder in the framework's folder are two bundles called "AquaUI.bundle" and "LeopardUI.bundle".

If you view the package contents for each of these, there are two folders inside them both, "Recipes", which contains XML files readable by Property List Editor that define the appearance, dimensions, opacities, and textures for the different UI elements, and "Resources", where a load of different png and pdf files used in the UI are stored.

The "LeopardUI.bundle" bundle has a curiously large configuration for the "menubar" element, with the menubar element having over 2000 attributes pertaining to its appearance.

I'm thinking of installing a second Leopard system onto my external drive and messing around with these files to see what they do. Maybe Leopard will finally let us apply themes without having to rely on 3rd-party software :D

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
From browsing through the different attributes, it appears that you can give UI elements inner shadows, colored shadows, modify the direction of what looks like at least 14 light sources, give each light source its own image, change highlight images and colors, and even bring the old aqua stripes back!

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Oh but why would you? :rolleyes:

Some of us liked the subtle pinstripe ;)

After going over these files a little more, it appears that pretty much every element in the UI is nothing more than a "material" image, which are all round, but get their shape from a bunch of attributes, a "figure" image, which is a PDF, a highlight material, an inlay, and a stripe gradient, usually the file "progressramp.png"

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
From browsing through the different attributes, it appears that you can give UI elements inner shadows, colored shadows, modify the direction of what looks like at least 14 light sources, give each light source its own image, change highlight images and colors, and even bring the old aqua stripes back!
There's the "Illuminous" UI update. It looks like they just didn't finish with the elements. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were just not able to clean everything up for a de-Aqua'd desktop in time for the shipping deadline.

What I look forward to seeing is whether applications will be able to request the Aqua UI in the future for those that base their custom graphics on the old OS X widgets and glyphs. If this is the case, we might be looking at the final days of the aqua scroll bars and buttons, with applications that are "Leopard compatible" containing a framework call to LeopardUI instead of AquaUI, and all other applications defaulting to AquaUI for consistency.

This is exactly the kind of groundwork you'd want to lay if you were developing a new UI in house and didn't want to disclose it to developers ahead of time.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
There's the "Illuminous" UI update. It looks like they just didn't finish with the elements. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were just not able to clean everything up for a de-Aqua'd desktop in time for the shipping deadline.

What I look forward to seeing is whether applications will be able to request the Aqua UI in the future for those that base their custom graphics on the old OS X widgets and glyphs. If this is the case, we might be looking at the final days of the aqua scroll bars and buttons, with applications that are "Leopard compatible" containing a framework call to LeopardUI instead of AquaUI, and all other applications defaulting to AquaUI for consistency.

This is exactly the kind of groundwork you'd want to lay if you were developing a new UI in house and didn't want to disclose it to developers ahead of time.

The LeopardUI bundle is grossly lacking in UI elements. All it has are menu, menubar, plasticcapsules, plasticround, plasticscurvesegs, and titlebarcontrols.

I attempted to change the menu.xml file to make my menus have square borders just to see if it worked, but alas, the changes I made were not reflected even after a few restarts.

When I have the time, I'll write up a little thing about what I discovered with the taxonomy.plist files and the different attributes it defines for the recipe files. I've got a midterm to study for right now though :(.. I was supposed to have it last week, but **** was on fire.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
This thread isn't about menubar transparency. It's about the possibility of customizing the UI by modifying the resources in CoreUI.

Not to mention I made this topic before 2 of those 3 appeared.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Sorry about that, I realized that shortly after I submitted my post... so I changed it. Carry on with your findings and good luck! ;)

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
nice find, i knew this already, not that i have leopard, not yet, but i read sole reviews... you could foul a little with it but i wouldn't too much, it's already beautiful now.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
None of the changes I made last night seemed to be reflected in the UI, other than Interface Builder displaying a weird black box whenever I ran the Cocoa Simulator.

But one thing of interest I found was that, in the AquaUI.bundle, the UI elements seem to have a third appearance style alongside Graphite and Blue, called "Clear".

I have yet to figure out how to activate this style, however :(

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
None of the changes I made last night seemed to be reflected in the UI, other than Interface Builder displaying a weird black box whenever I ran the Cocoa Simulator.

But one thing of interest I found was that, in the AquaUI.bundle, the UI elements seem to have a third appearance style alongside Graphite and Blue, called "Clear".

clear? would apple have secret files distributed, i don't think so.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
clear? would apple have secret files distributed, i don't think so.

The files show that it's pretty much just Aqua without the material overlay, which would make things look a little funky. For example, you'd have completely transparent titlebar buttons, with the only indicator that the button is there being the glass inlay.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Any idea when, or is it just something we should expect sometime in the future?

Open your Leopard DVD and install the developer tools.After you've done that navigate to : hard drive>developer>examples>quartz>core animation>recipes

compile it..

That's similar to what Apple is going to implement.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Can you please explain to me what this "recipes" thing is all about? :confused:

The recipes files are XML files that define the characteristics of the UI elements. Height, width, curvature, lighting, coloring, opacity, shadows, glow, inlay, material, figures (glyphs), etc.

The LeopardUI elements have 2032 attributes, whereas the AquaUI elements have 148.

And for some reason, my AquaUI.bundle I keep on the desktop for modification now has my Adium Domokun icon o-O

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The LeopardUI bundle is grossly lacking in UI elements. All it has are menu, menubar, plasticcapsules, plasticround, plasticscurvesegs, and titlebarcontrols.
Precisely as one would expect, since those are the only non-Aqua elements implemented thus far.

That's because you don't activate it; it's already activated. "Clear" is the style of the shared inactive resources of Aqua (e.g. the unchecked check box). They are stored separately so that each color style does not need to duplicate common elements to both.

The new Core UI services use texture bases and vector images (PDFs) together to produce screen elements. The non-vector components are contained in texture resources--Aqua (blue), Graphite, and Clear, which you have located.

theGAPkid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
UK
The files show that it's pretty much just Aqua without the material overlay, which would make things look a little funky. For example, you'd have completely transparent titlebar buttons, with the only indicator that the button is there being the glass inlay.

Any chance of some images

this sounds quite amazing

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Open your Leopard DVD and install the developer tools.After you've done that navigate to : hard drive>developer>examples>quartz>core animation>recipes

compile it..

I tried that and it gave me 113 errors. I tried other examples and it kept giving me errors. You're supposed to open the xcode project file and click "build", right?

I tried a bunch, and they all kept erroring on me. I think it has to do with the import lines.. like this one. it errored at this: #import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> (Note: This line is from a different example.. not the one Peace was talking about)

Anyone know how to fix that?

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007

okay. ;)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Recipes

compile it..

I suppose the glowing and pulsating aura around the menu slide button gives us a taste of what has been referred to as "illuminous."

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    701.5 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.