Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
I know many on this forum take everything Mark Gurman says with a grain of salt but I do believe that Apple uses him to leak info when they want and he likely does know more than the average person about Apples plans. In today's Power On newsletter there was this interesting blurb regarding the Magic Keyboard: The new aluminum Magic Keyboard is expected to be more durable, with a laptop-like aesthetic. And new software will take advantage of the hardware.

What caught my eye was the "new software to take advantage of the hardware" line. This would seem to imply different or new functionality when the keyboard is attached. This lends some credence to the oft cited rumor (based on an Apple patent) that when Magic Keyboard is attached a "pro mode" or some other software change that changes multitasking or windowing capabilities in iPadOS activates. It will be really interested on Tuesday to see if the new Magic Keyboard does indeed have special features it turns on in iPadOS and if true, would those features extend to any bluetooth keyboard/mouse connected to iPad.

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
We'll see! But... if any new iPadOS software is announced next week, don't expect too much. The next big version of iPadOS is about to revealed next month during WWDC. They'll probably save a lot of new software features until then.
Don’t count on it. I bought my 2018 iPad Pro with that thinking and every year since we say “this WWDC will be THE WWDC for my iPad”…

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Don’t count on it. I bought my 2018 iPad Pro with that thinking and every year since we say “this WWDC will be THE WWDC for my iPad”…
Huh? The person you are commenting on is simple saying "We'll see." And don't expect too much while new software features will be saved to WWDC.

I plan on going into both May 7th event and WWDC... not expecting anything drastic with iPadOS, but I do think this new Magic Keyboard will be dope. Perhaps, that's the strength of the iPad... being modular, that's one of the reasons I prefer it over the Mac.

One of the things I'm interested in doing is buying a magnetic stand or desk mount for it. But I know manufactures have to design specifically for it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I know many on this forum take everything Mark Gurman says with a grain of salt but I do believe that Apple uses him to leak info when they want and he likely does know more than the average person about Apples plans. In today's Power On newsletter there was this interesting blurb regarding the Magic Keyboard: The new aluminum Magic Keyboard is expected to be more durable, with a laptop-like aesthetic. And new software will take advantage of the hardware.

What caught my eye was the "new software to take advantage of the hardware" line. This would seem to imply different or new functionality when the keyboard is attached. This lends some credence to the oft cited rumor (based on an Apple patent) that when Magic Keyboard is attached a "pro mode" or some other software change that changes multitasking or windowing capabilities in iPadOS activates. It will be really interested on Tuesday to see if the new Magic Keyboard does indeed have special features it turns on in iPadOS and if true, would those features extend to any bluetooth keyboard/mouse connected to iPad.

So they abandoned the cantilever design for convertible? Balance might be an issue, but I suppose they would have had to figured that out.

Regardless, with a convertible design it would have to be heavier to be balanced correctly, at least to my liking. Maybe with a battery for ballast. The present one has some ballast around the trackpad, even with the cantilever design.

Point is, I can't figure how they could do it without increasing the weight. I mean, it would be so back heavy as to give you the sensation it was gong to tip over backwards, on the verge.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's just a keyboard, I'd love to hear what exactly is so pro about attaching one other than making iPads more tolerable to type on, besides marketing lingo. Keyboards are also such an optional iPad accessory that even these days half my apps don't really have proper keyboard support.

If it's anything to do with AI, based on how hard Apple seems to be eating into that fad, I will be extremely disappointed yet not surprised

Reactions: nj-morris

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I’m definitely keeping my expectations low. Otherwise I know I’m setting myself up for disappointment

mostly looking forward to the OLED screen.

Reactions: Shirasaki

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
In today's Power On newsletter there was this interesting blurb regarding the Magic Keyboard: The new aluminum Magic Keyboard is expected to be more durable, with a laptop-like aesthetic. And new software will take advantage of the hardware.
I don’t think that sentence was meant to refer to the keyboard, but to the new hardware overall. More likely Gurman had the new SoC in mind, in particular its expected AI support.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I agree that everyone should keep their expectations low but the wording of this newsletter does imply more laptop like software functionality when docked.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What I found interesting was:

"The Pro is expected to gain a powerful new M4 chip"

which is a stronger statement than that made previously.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I have been saying time and time again, that the iPad that have the M-series chips should allow dual booting into macOS and it seems that based on MG's latest newsletter, Apple may finally acquiesce to this sometime soon...

Thank god...
LOL! It's astonishing that niche users who want this have this delusion that they are the majority of Apple's iPad user base. Nothing could be further from the truth. These folks constitute 10% at best. Everyone else likes iPad to be iPad, and if they really wanted a MacBook, they'd just buy one! (Especially now that Walmart sells M1 Airs for $699.)

These folks also imagine it would be "cheap and easy" for Apple to build iPads that run macOS, while not having the faintest idea of what really goes on in Apple's engineering labs or what it's cost structure is.

Finally, these people would be terrible at business. "Let's combine Mac and iPad so now customers only have to buy ONE device, and pay us less money. Because, after all, we HATE profits."

Last edited:

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq

I'd be happy with a Magic Keyboard for the Mac with USB C and backlighting. Please. Pretty please?

Reactions: boston04and07

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

Yes, but it coming form the same dude. You need two unrelated sources for better confirmation. So don't get your hopes up.

Remember, this guy has been wrong in the past.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have been saying time and time again, that the iPad that have the M-series chips should allow dual booting into macOS and it seems that based on MG's latest newsletter, Apple may finally acquiesce to this sometime soon...

Thank god...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: KeithBN

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Yep, Gurman seems more and more confident on M4. He stated M4 in his newsletter and on Bloomberg. The processor codes match his predictions.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017

It can be as simple as a row of function keys and the Esc button. Esc seems to be a very import button for Pro people.

• Love
Reactions: wanha and Gelam

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
LOL! It's astonishing that niche users who want this have this delusion that they are the majority of Apple's iPad user base. Nothing could be further from the truth. These folks constitute 10% at best. Everyone else likes iPad to be iPad, and if they really wanted a MacBook, they'd just buy one! (Especially now that Walmart sells M1 Airs for $699.)

These folks also imagine it would be "cheap and easy" for Apple to build iPads that run macOS, while having the faintest idea of what really goes on in Apple's engineering labs or what it's cost structure is.

Finally, these people would be terrible at business. "Let's combine Mac and iPad so now customers only have to buy ONE device, and pay us less money. Because, after all, we HATE profits."
The "let's combine Mac & iPad now so customers have to buy only 1 device". Now while I do not agree with the majority of "just put MacOS on the iPad", I think it would be cool to have the iPad evolve into its own thing that can become as productive and intuitive to use as the Mac. Maybe apple could refine the iPad OS to be as good at mouse/keyboard input friendly as MacOS while still retaining the touch interface friendliness. As I do not think the current MacOS can become touch friendly enough in its current format and incarnation.

If and when the iPad becomes that useful it will cannibalize Mac sales yes, but it will also cannibalize the entire PC/laptop/mobile industry and paradigm as well and could potentially reinvent the computer if it achieves that god like status. The potential sales and impact can be way higher than the lost Mac sales. Similar to how the iPhone initially cannibalized the iPod and then become so much more than that. Steve Jobs also supported the idea himself.

But that road is not easy, and it might not even be the correct move. I don't know. But I agree with all your other points. I have no idea what goes on at Apple. And that yeah we might be the minority of the iPad userbase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.