Interesting MAC Situation Im In

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by digitisms, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. digitisms macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2005
    I have an interesting situation that I would love to hear some thoughts on.

    I currently have a two year old 17inch Powebook G4. I am a freelance writer / graphic designer / mobile consultant / blog creator and love using the 17 inch for work. I originaly bought it for on the go movie editing.

    It is the ONLY computer I own and as such travels around with me a lot and gets heavy use. Recently, I have experienced hey board trouble where the caps lock key, the plus and equal sign, the up key , the f12 key and the eject key stop working. Pretty weird huh? At first I just went to the store and got the keyboard replaced, but the problemed recured pretty much a day after uses. Sometime its always the same keys, sometimes its
    "Q" through "P" or
    "A" through "L" or
    "Z" through "?"

    I figured out that if i put pressure on the keyboard tit will pretty much start working again, sometimes this takes longer to work than other times...Sometimes it works fine for days

    Anyways, I am pretty sure that it is a deeper problem, something to do with the connector and the logic board... So at some time I have to send it my computer to get it fixed, this will mean that I will not have my computer (the major source of my freelancing income for a week or two..."


    Since my laptop is my only computer and travels around with me a lot (and I travel ALOT), and because of its massive size," it has gotten pretty beat up...a skrew has fallen out in the lower right of the screen and one skrew fell out in the back (they where warped and couldnt be put back in. It asl has a dent in the front by the DVD drive and one in the left hand corner near the harddrive where the corner is chipped, there is also pull near the battery...

    So when I was getting the keyboard looked at the Genius told me that if anything else went wrong with my mac it wouldt be covered because of the dents and that to get my mac back to apple care status I would have to replace the casing (a total of 620$!!) which is worth it in the off case that something does go wrong during the one year that teh Applecare is still good for, and the fact that it is my only computer and runs FINE otherwise.

    I have lived with this for awhile but when another skew got warped and I noticed that the casing is rising a bit in the upper left hand corner I decided that I really should get the whole thing (logic board and casing done immeditaly)

    I really cant go without a computer for 1 or 2 weeks and always thought about getting a second back-up computer for moments like these. But their are so many issues to consider.

    But then I also thought this second computer should also be my portable computer, thus preventing the damage that occurs to the 17inch when you travel with it a lot.

    Either way, I need the second Mac to be powerful enough for basic on the go programs like macromedia, basic sound editing, web browing, doesnt have to be as powerful as the 17inch etc etc

    So, I was thinking of just going out and buying the 12 inch PB and some syncing software. Syncing the two computers, sending my 17 inch for repair, relying on the 12 inch for a while. When the 17 inch is back I will keep it primarily at home and only travel with the 12 inch (using YouSoftware Sync or something like that to keep the two computers synced).

    Then, I could get the New Mac Intel and pray that I will also be able to keep it in sync with my 12 inch old-PB
    Or, should I just spend the 2 grand that I would spend on the 12 inch on a vacation for me and my GF and send off my computer then ;-) and just wait for the new Mac Intel?

    That is how i planned spending my Mac time until I saw the Mac Intel is ready to buy ( I am of the philosophical school not to buy Rev A.)

    This was my delima for a while, then the new 15 inch came out. Now I also considerd doing the same thing with the 15 inch (but thats expensive) or buying the 15 inch, sync it with my 17 inch, refurbish my 17 inch and then sell it to make up for some of the cost of the 15 inch. I would then I have a new, 15 inch somewhat less damagable and somewhat portable powerbook for the next year or two until the new MAcs with Intel come out . Id only get the 15 inch with 1g memory (wheras my 17 inch has 2 gigs).

    I know some people will tell me i should just buy a reved uped 12inch ibook as a replacement, but I am a bit of a snob and just dont know... plus the 12 inch powerbook does have things the 12 inch ibook doesnt, right?

    Well, thats all.. I appreciate your thoughts
  2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

    Mar 15, 2005
    Personally... I don't think its worth fixing the 17". Plain and simple..
    Keyboard wise.. see if you can find a "flexible, and foldable" keybaord so you can use it for when you travel.

    If money isn't "that" much of an issue... I say either go with a 12" or a 15". Coming from a 17", i'd think that i'd be better for you to go with the 15". As of right now, no one knows when Apple is going to release the Intel Powerbooks.. let a lone.. know how great they'll be.

    This is what i would do if i were in your situation.
    Buy a new 15" Powerbook.
    Sync with 17" PB.
    And sell the 17" PB.

    Sending your 17" Powerbook in for repairs won't be cheap. Its like bringing a 15 year old car into the garage for an overhaul before the winter. To ensure that it runs perfectly, your going to have to dump a lot of money into. Parts and labour doesn't come cheap..

    Keep it simple... because who knows how long Apple is going to be "repairing your Powerbook"

    You can also check out the Refurb. section on the Apple website... tons of deals waiting to be picked up.
  3. digitisms thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2005
    Well, to sell the 17 inch I will have to repair the exterior. And the keyboard... who wants to buy a computer with dents that would be covered...
  4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 7, 2004
    Just to ask: have you tried resetting the NVram and Pram? I remember about 1/4 of the keys on my 12" PB's keyboard. Apple had me reset the NVram and Pram. After that problem solved.
  5. digitisms thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2005
    How do you do that?
  6. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    just buy a USB or Bluetooth KB and save yourself some $$$$!!!Then use the money for that holiday. Run the 17'' into the ground and by then you'll be able to buy a shiny new PB with some kind of intel chip in it (and i'm sure many other new features).

    Check out these flexible keyboards:
  7. digitisms thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2005

    Yeah, but I am not lugging a keyboard around with me wherever I go... I have enough gadgets + I have to fix the exterior otherwise if something does happen I will be paying a whole lot more to fix it or be forced to buy a new computer at a bad time...

  8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a


    Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    hey. people sell things all the time with dents in them and such. Im sure someone out there will be willing to buy your 'banged up' powerbook for a good chunk of change, maybe enough to pay for your 12in (or most of it)

    you seem like a smart guy. just think of the cost/benefit analysis. Is it worth it to repair it for $650, then sell it? or is it worth it to just sell it as/is... or is it worth it to just repair it and still keep it?

    just think about it, if you were to repair it, then sell it, do you think your repaired machine is going to go for +$650? probably not (unless maybe you sell it with the repair priced into it, but on a place like ebay, i doubt it will make more than 100, maybe $200 difference.)

    just think about what is more beneficial to you.
  9. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    The link was for flexible KBs which role up, so you wouldn't exactly have to "lug" it around. But if you've got lots of other gadgets and gizmos then that's fair enough. ;). That being the case, I think trying to sell it as it is, is your best's not worth the $650 to repair imo.

    Good luck with it.
  10. 40167 macrumors regular

    Sep 5, 2004
    I'd go on vacation... Personaly I wouldn't think that my mac would break within the year anyway, and in the case that it did; I would worry about it then. You don't want to shell out 650 and find out in a year that it's still working fine and you didn't need to fix it. I'd just put like 20 bucks a week in a pot; by the time the computer breaks or a new version comes out, you'll be able to afford it then.

    Sure your work involves having a computer at all times; but surely you know someone that could let you borrow a system for a while, if you keep regular backups then running on another system won't be a problem.

Share This Page