Interesting MacTrast article on post-Lion MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

hey - it looks like MacTrast found some interesting differences between identical pre-Lion and post-Lion 2011 MacBook Pros. Updated keyboard and manuals, and Apple is no longer including restore DVD's with newly-shipped Macs.

Also, because newly shipping MacBook Pros include neither restore DVDs
    nor the ability to use Internet Restore, there's no longer any
    official Apple-sanctioned way to recover your Mac from hard drive
    failure, short of taking it in to Apple and potentially having to pay
    a repair fee if you are out of warrantee.

Here's a link to the article: http://mctr.st/r7ILY3

2. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

TBH, I'm kinda bummed the keyboard changed, I was concerned about buying a 2011 before Lion came out, but it really doesn't affect the functionality of the keys. Oh well, I guess on the bright side I have installation DVD's that came with my Mac. Although I never would, I hear the SL Dvd's can be found on a certain popular pirating website.

3. orangepeel macrumors member

SMH. The cost of a restore DVD is 5 cents. Looks like new MBP users are going to have to shell out $70 for the lion flash drives.

4. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Do you get a serial number or log-in details when buying Lion from the App Store?

Because then you'd just download Lion again, put in the code, and you're set.

I own Capture One and never had a disc.

I have a serial number, and when I get a new computer, I deauthorize the one I have, download a new, put in the code.

Whenever you go to the App Store, they know who you are when you log in and a re-download should be possible without being charged.

Same goes for Final Cut Pro: I can't imagine if the software is damaged by a crash that you had to buy it again.

5. Lenas, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Lenas macrumors newbie

Um....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Just because their internet recovery didn't work in the article, doesn't mean that it's no longer available. That Apple article was updated 7 days ago. You should be able to recover Lion in any scenario without Apple intervention. Overreact much?

6. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

And where are these Lion Recovery tools, I'd like to make a recovery disc and right now I don't know how to do that.

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

That's fine and dandy IF you have an internet connection that's fast enough to do an internet recovery.

When you replace your hard drive, how is one who lives in a rural area, like myself, supposed to perform an installation of OS X?

I agree it's not that big of a deal as HD replacement is a rare occurrence, so for most events, the Recovery Partition will do swimmingly. But to not have any disc/USB drive shipped with the computer definitely seems like a bit of a pain, at least at this point in the game.

If your MBP came with Snow Leopard and you downloaded Lion from the retail store, go into Applications, right click on the Lion Installer, click "Show Package Contents". Then open "Contents", and then "Shared Support" and open the file called "InstallESD.dmg". Then use Disk Utility to clone the DMG to a DVD/USB drive. This disc/drive would allow you to do a clean install of Lion on a fresh or completely formatted hard drive. By pressing alt/option at boot, you can enter the "Recovery Partition" and use that to do the same thing as the USB/DVD, except it runs directly from your hard drive, which, if you're formatting the ENTIRE drive, is obviously an issue.

8. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I already have Lion installed, so I don't have access to the installer. I could download it online, but do I need a product key, I can't remember.

9. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

You can re-download it from the Mac App Store for free, without any need for a code.

You're sure it's not in your Applications folder? I've never done an upgrade install of Lion, so I don't know what it does with the Installer after it's done, but if you haven't done so already, just check to make sure it isn't in there.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is definitely sticky. Depending on how much the firmware could hold then perhaps they can bake it into the nuBook Pros like they do the Air's and the Mini's but I don't hold my breath.

This seems complicated even for pro users so for the novice user it must be really annoying.

11. murdoc158 macrumors regular

OR...

you could download Lion elsewhere and burn your own DVD or USB stick. :rolleyes:

12. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

The internet restore utility is built into the firmware of the new macbook airs and the mac minis. "new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD (Command-R method above) doesn't work." AKA not our current MacBook Pros. Until they get around to updating the MPB this won't work without a possible firmware update that I doubt will show up.

13. Sam2lucky13, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  14. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Yeah I remember the days when I couldn't burn an ISO image either...

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Oh please, the rallying cry for the past 5 years has practically been how you don't have to burn your own restore media, a la Toshiba or Dell.

16. Lenas macrumors newbie

Everything has pros and cons. It's unfortunate the rural areas don't have faster internet, but if you could download Lion once from the App Store, you can download it again during a restore.

Yes, and our current MBP's have optical drives and usb ports with which we can restore. I'm still not seeing a problem. Everyone with an Apple computer has SOME way to restore.

17. jhuezo macrumors newbie

So nobody's cooked up a way to extract a boot image from lion pre-installed MBPs?

I swear I saw the advice somewhere :(

Just got my new mbp with lion preinstalled. I also have a brand spanking new ssd to install but i don't have a boot disc to get lion onto it :(