Interesting new iBook development

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by agurlnamedgoo, Dec 3, 2008.

1. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

Hey...
    I have a 12" iBook G4 (1.2ghz process,or, 768mb ram, 60gb hdd... if you were wondering). It's a dream.
    But recently it's developed a couple of problems.
    For one thing, when the charger is plugged in (which is basically always nowadays, because battery life is 30 mins at best anymore), it's very loose most of the time. Just a tiny wiggle can make the difference between black and green. Do you suppose this represents a need for a new AC adapter - maybe something there has gotten worn down? - or do you think it's the actual port in the computer?
    But also... Not always, but often, when I unplug the charger from the WALL end while leaving it plugged into the computer, the screen shuts off. the computer is still running in non-sleep mode... I can still be listening to music or click things... but I have no backlight. To get the backlight back on, I have to sleep the computer and wake it back up. To avoid this, I've started unplugging it from the computer first, which seems to be working, but I'm curious as to what could be the issue. Any techno-supers out there have any ideas?

2. agurlnamedgoo thread starter macrumors member

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Mine (1.5Ghz) does this as well. It could be two reasons;
    1) the port on the computer. It can become loose (mine is now).
    2) the plug. I had a problem with my plug - the metal sheath that extends from the end as a hollow cylinder has a join on one side. Sometimes this can bend apart and make poor contact with the port. You can squeeze it back together with your fingers. You shouldn't be able to see a gap. I eventually had to buy a new plug for other reasons and it made a massive difference. Let me know if I explained this too poorly :)!

No idea at all :eek:

4. appledrone macrumors regular

I hate to be gloomy but I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago and it was the logic board, eventually it died altogether, back up if you can and prepare for the worst:(

5. agurlnamedgoo thread starter macrumors member

Don't worry - I don't see that as gloomy. While it's a shame to hear, I have absolutely abused this computer. By that I mean, while I've treated it like my child, I use it CONSTANTLY. And it's done me better than any other. I have backed most of it up already, just because it's fairly old so I don't want to lose all my stuff... and I'll be prepared. Thank you :)

6. California macrumors 68040

California

it may just be the dc in board. Replaceable on the 1.33 12" ibook, I think on the 1.2ghz as well.

There is a chip problem on the video board on ibooks. After owning about five or six of various g4's and g3's, I have come to the conclusion that it is the slight flexibility in the plastic cases that causes the video chip to get de soldered.

Advice: try swapping out the dc in board. Get a very stiff zeroshock case for the iBook. And find a soldering guy in case the video chip gets loose.

Also, there is a class action suit on ibook power adapters. Get a new one from Apple if you can.

7. mcguidance macrumors member

My WhiteBook had the same problem (If I am understanding the AC adapter problem) and the light would not remain green unless I pushed it in. After a while it would not even do it then. Apple Care replaced my charger free of charge.

ETA: Now that I think about it - my WhiteBooks logic board was replaced twice soon thereafter - and I was given a brand new AlumMB (paid only 100 bucks).

8. agurlnamedgoo thread starter macrumors member

SERIOUSLY?! What's the suit for? Like, when I call in, what problem should I claim it has?
    The computer's too old for warranty... think they'll still give it to me?

9. macbrooke macrumors regular

macbrooke

Hey.. this is not your logic board, I posted the other day my computer was doing the exact same thing, its absolutely your adaptor! I switched to my old adaptor and my display never goes dark now.

People here told me LB as well.. I didn't agree and I am glad it was not.
    I'm interested in knowing more about this class action suit about ibook adaptors as well..

( I have been through 6 myself on 3 ibooks)

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

11. agurlnamedgoo thread starter macrumors member

macbrooke - you mean the charge light never goes dark?
    Were you also having the problem with your screen going dark? Or is that also the adapter?

SnowLeop - I would go to apple, but my computer's no longer under warranty, so I'd have to pay to talk to them over the phone, and the nearest store is 2-3 hours away haha

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think you're talking about a White MacBook. There's no way Apple would give him an AlumMB because his, out-of-warranty, iBook is having problems.

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/02/apple_settles_class_action_suit_over_faulty_notebook_adapters.htmlThere is a link in this article to check your serial number in case it's affected. The suit is to reimburse cash incase you already replaced your power adapter. However, I think this suit proves that you deserve a new power adapter.