Interesting Newsweek Article on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, Jun 5, 2008.

1. essential macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been posted, I searched and didn't find it, but the article was posted on Newsweek yesterday so it probably found it's way on the forum somewhere.

Have there been fully ready 3G iPhones since mid-March when those shipments arrived? They wouldn't be assembled in the USA, so if those were iPhones in those shipments, they would be fully packaged, ready to go to retailers, I would imagine.

The article also mentions GPS, which I feel is a given, even though there has been some debate about it on these forums the last couple weeks.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/139979

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I read that article this morning as well. It is very interesting. I still would be really surprised if the iphone is already positioned in distribution centers, and has been there since march. But then again what do i know. I guess if they are going to announce Monday and beginning selling them almost immediately they would have to already be in the US.

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

if the hardware is ready, how will the final version of 2.0 get installed. when the user sync's it with iTunes?

4. kleo macrumors regular

I ALWAYS wonder about this also. Does anyone have any insight how this might work without having the user update their brand new phone the day they get it?

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

6. saxman macrumors 6502

Doesn't the iPhone require activation (unless you unlock it) through iTunes? If it does, then a software update at the same times seems trivial to me. You need an Internet connection and you have to run it through iTunes. It might take a little longer though

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

That's how current iPhone OS updates are done, is it not? Through iTunes? Why would the 3G iPhone be any different?

8. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

The question is will it require an update right out of the box.

That doesn't seem like something Apple would do with a brand new product.

9. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Oh, I dunno. It seems to me as if every time I fire up iTunes there's a new version, and ALL my iPods have been updated by iTunes oiut the box:D

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

See: New Macs on Leopard launch day. :)

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

1.1.5 preloaded and 2.0 is just feature update at end of June.

12. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

But were they brand new release day ipods?

But were they new Macs on their first day of release?

In both of these cases they were products that were already out there being sold. Not a day 1 release that already requires an update. That seems very Microsoft.

It would be like buying Leopard the day it was released and when you get home to install it, you find that they already have 10.5.1 to download.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

True enough. I'm of the opinion that we may see a 1.1.5 update to support new features before 2.0 hits at the end of the month.

14. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I can't tell you how many articles I've read in the past few days, all with this exact sentence. So much for original writing/reporting.

15. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

But both don't REQUIRE an internet connection. You have to activate the iPhone online. Internet connection, firmware update. Piece of cake.

16. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I agree, it would be very easy. But requiring an update before you even use it just seems like poor foresight.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but it doesn't seem like something that Apple would do.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Since when did "electronic devices" now = iPhones? Where's the proof? Newsweek seems to have joined Forbes in this assumption. It might be possible, but if so, then why so early? Didn't Infineon only start fabbing en masse in May?

18. ROBARMY macrumors newbie

You have to activate the phone before you can use it!!! The update will be installed then.... it's not rocket science people....

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Very well-written and interesting article

I didn't know a little bit of what he said including where Jobs had been and his flight milages :D