Interesting Numbers From TenFourFox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MysticCow, Aug 3, 2014.

1. MysticCow, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

TFF is probably the only place where we're going to get halfway accurate numbers. We don't and won't know how many there really are in the wild, but we might be able to see trends. Each pic represents the "call home" TFF makes to version check.

The raw numbers have actually GROWN, likely because of knowledge of TFF (and Leopard Webkit) as a resource. It probably isn't due to an actual increase in PowerPC users--sorry. :(

This pic represents the callback by OS. You'll notice a sliver of 10.6, because some 10.6 users do use TFF. Other than that, it's fairly even between 10.4 and 10.5 users. Soonish, 10.6 numbers will rise, since they are heading into unsupported-land pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

Percentage-wise, the G3 and early G4 users are dropping.

[​IMG]

Here we find out how many Rosetta users are using TFF. It's not that many, but somehow the G5 version will run under 10.6. In addition, we get to see the rough percentages of processor vs 10.4 or 10.5. G4 users tend to stay on 10.4. G5 users tend to stay on 10.5.

You'll notice on the next graph also, there are impossible combinations, like G3-10.5. It's most likely Rosetta. There's also G5-10.6, which means the G5 version HAS to be running under Rosetta, despite a lot of disadvantages.

[​IMG]

Finally, we have what version of TFF is calling home. 31 is still fairly new to TFF, but 24 is still the one used most.

[​IMG]

So what does it all mean? It means we're still using PowerPC, at least on a web browsing front. And that is about eight years after the Intel transition.

Personally, I hope my PowerPC Macs never die.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's interesting to see the raw numbers.

I know that I'm a "new" user of TFF, as I only bought my first PPC Mac in April of this year.

As far as the OS versions go, I know that my one and only G5 uses 10.5 almost exclusively and my various G4s tend toward 10.4. My G5 has 10.4 on it, and my Quicksilver has 10.5, but as a whole this is how I do things.

And, at this point, I don't have a G3 running an OS version new enough to run TFF. I need to get 10.4 on my iMac, although I need to either get 10.4 on CD or rig up an external DVD drive to do that.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'll give out some details about the PowerPC Archive more on a "what are they using" standpoint.

Leopard is our most popular OS visiting (as I had expected, most use Leopard), and we get some viewers that use Mavericks, and of course in third place is Tiger. Firefox (as TFF) and Safari (most likely in Tiger/Leopard as a alt. to TFF) then the Chrome users that have to be using Mavericks. I can't get exact info on what processor (G3, G4, G5) they are using to view the site, but I've provided what I can :)

Attached Files:

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In Kaiser's writeup he states that he tosses the obviously fake user agents. I bring that up because I routinely use T4Fx with a user agent that does not apply to me at all (Intel, OS X 10.9, Firefox 31). But I do that to get the maximum compatibility I can with the sites I visit.

At the opposite extreme is my Mac Pro at work. I use the Intel version of TenFourFox 17 on this Mac, running OS X 10.9.4.. I do that to support T4Fx and as my middle finger contribution to Apple.

I'm probably the only MP with that user agent in Kaier's logs. :D

5. G4TheWin macrumors member

Oh, so is running unsupported, out of date, third party software supposed to be a "middle finger" to the company that makes the host OS? In that case, I plan to only run Netscape Navigator 3.04 Gold on my Windows 8 box as my middle finger contribution to Microsoft.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

No, it's me telling Apple, hey, even though you went to Intel, guess what, I'm running what is originally PowerPC code on your Intel Mac.

It's dumb and childish, but I don't pretend to be completely grown up. :D

7. MysticCow thread starter macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I'll admit I'm some of those 10.9 Intel numbers, mainly because I always look for stuff for my PowerPC Macs. Since they all have Dropbox, it's nothing to put a PPC app on the Dropbox and go from there.