Interesting Observation...For Erik

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, May 26, 2015.

1. bunnspecial, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This is not at all related to PPC computers in any way, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Erik(eyougren) has complained a lot-and with good reason-about how folder tags changed for the worse in 10.9. For the history of color in the Mac OS, a tagged folder has highlighted the entire folder name. I once stuck the drive out of my Quadra(68K and running System 7.5.5) into a DA running 10.4.11, and was quite pleasantly surprised to see that the tags were still completely readable under OS X.

In any case, 10.9 changed tags from highlighting the entire folder/file to just putting a small colored dot next to them. If you're a heavy user of them, obviously this is a problem.

I'm not a heavy user of tags, but do use them when I have one folder that I need to reference repeatedly-it makes that folder easier to find.

In any case, I was working earlier this evening on resaving a bunch of word documents as PDFs(to combine into one document) and was pleasantly surprised to see that Word still keeps the full highlighting on tags.

Of course, this is just one program. Acrobat Pro-as I'm sure you probably know-does use the dot rather than the full highlight and I'm guessing that Office 2016 will as well.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting. Thanks.

Note however that Apple removed folder labels from 10.0 to 10.2.8. You had to use a third party app to get them. Apple relented with 10.3. I'm guessing based on your observation that they just ported over the old label code.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's funny how Apple-even when OS X was fairly mature(i.e. around 10.3/10.4) still kept adding back in features that were present in OS 9 and earlier. Of course, 10.0 and 10.1 were a science experiment at best :)

This is a small thing, but in OS 9(and before) you can bring up a finder window and then "right" click(or control click usually, unless you have enabled right clicks with 3rd party software and a non-Apple mouse). One of the options is "clean up", which of course arranges the files and folders easily.

The ability to do this in OS X didn't return in Leopard-in Tiger you had to go up to one of the drop-downs in the menu bar.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can recall the bad old days of missing spring-loaded folders too. Until 10.3.

Steve Jobs personally got pummeled over so many "missing" features in OS X that were present in OS9 that he actually came out and said Apple was putting them back in over time.

I guess some things Apple can get away with but with others there's enough outrage that it makes Apple blink.

5. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

spring-folders in Mac OS 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kdAxGe9SE

I have been an OS 9 user first, then 10.2 and then 10.4 etc. and I was never aware that this feature had been lacking in between versions, although I used it. Maybe I just forgot about it and did it differently in 10.2. I also was never aware, that the history started with OS 8.

One asks oneself, how they decide whether a feature is handy or not, if it is not just programming ease.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm incorrect. Apparently, spring-loaded folders came back with Jaguar.

In any case, there for a while it was the #1 most requested feature, per Steve Jobs at the keynote when Jag was announced. Steve even demonstrated spring-loaded folders.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/ted-landaus-expo-report-keynote-walking-the-floor/

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've mentioned this before, but the first Mac OS I really learned was Lion. It's probably the most hated at least of the Intel versions of OS X(Yosemite possibly excepted), although is near and dear to my heart because it was the only OS on the only Mac I owned until I got into this crazy PPC collecting business.

Even since then, my primary experience has been with Tiger, Leopard, and OS 9.

In any case, I've actually been using spring loaded folders all along without realizing they were called that. I guess it's just a feature I take for granted so much that I haven't even thought about it until today, much less realized it had a name.

I'd definitely miss it if it was gone, although the only OSs I use on a semi-regular basis that lack it are System 6 on my Mac SE and System 7.5 on my Quadra 700.

Even though I have every version of OS X with the exception of Mountain Lion(I've never even owned a computer on which it was installed) installed somewhere, Tiger, Leopard, and Mavericks are the only ones that get any regular use(Leopard and Mavericks get the most use-I have Leopard on almost every G4 I own, and Mavericks on every Intel that will run it).