Interesting observation regarding unlocked phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Oct 9, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i just got back from a friends house. He has an unlocked iPhone he got off ebay. Naturally i start playing with it and everything works peachy. I noticed however that the iPhone recognises his phone number. For example, when i launch the phone app, his number shows at the top and says "My Number:+44 78########".

Also when he docks the phone with iTunes, iTunes recognises and displays his phone number "4478########" instead of n/a. However when i swapped out the sim and put in my own, it didn't recognise the number and iTunes just shows n/a. Curious as to why this is....what's so special about my friends SIM?

By the way he's on a T-Mobile Pay & Go Tariff whilst i am on a O2 Pay Monthly Tariff.

2. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

This is the same with mine, on Vodafone PAYG, it said n/a, but with my new T-Mobile SIM it says 44079..... Not sure what makes T-Mobile so special! :D

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I see. An educated guess is T-mobile encode actual numbers into their SIM cards in addition to other stuff whilst the other SIMs are just tools for connecting to the network nothing more

4. gallinger macrumors regular

I have a Rogers SIM and it allows me to view my Number from the phone.app and aso in iTunes. never thought anything of it.

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Majority dont have their numbers showing. Must be a network technology thing.

6. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

My unlocked T-Mo USA phone shows the correct phone number in iPhone and iTunes.