Interesting problem: computer lagging in OS X but not Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, Jul 17, 2011.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hi Macrumors,

I'm currently running a 2010 dual core i7 15" Macbook Pro.

Here is my problem:

I occasionally play some games, like Starcraft II and Counter Strike: Source. I'm able to run these games at decent graphic settings and not have them lag. I've been playing both of these for quite a while now on Mac OS X (but also have them installed on Windows 7 through Boot Camp).

Recently, these two games have begun to lag tremendously when I try to play them in OS X (Snow Leopard). I've restarted my computer a few times and ran some basic diagnostics to the best of my abilities, but it looks like it's not a restart-your-computer type fix.

I thought that it was my graphics card having some sort of funky problem, but the thing is, when I boot up into Windows 7, these two games run perfectly fine. So it's only lagging on my OS X partition.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

have you monitored CPU temps during the lags?

Perhaps the CPU is throttling causing lags in games.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I'm not a 15" user, so I have no idea how two graphics card work, but does the GPU automatically change to AMD Radeon HD when you play any type of games? Just curious. Also, maybe you've installed some other programs that's eating up your CPU or RAM? I would check Activity Monitor if that's the case.
    BTW, I play SC2 on my Macbook Pro, and the only reason I would have lag is the internet connection, not the computer itself.

6. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses! Yes, the switch between discrete and integrated should be seamless.

My concern is that this is a new problem that's never happened before. I've played SCII for about a year now, and CS:Source ever since I purchased my MBP. It's only recently, suddenly started lagging up and making the games unplayable.

It doesn't have to do with the internet connection, as I've tried to play these games offline, and it still lags tremendously. Speedtest also shows that my internet connection is fine, and the same as it's always been.

Like I stated above, the main reason why I'm so perplexed is just because everything has run fine before. This is only a recent development, and a sudden one at that.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

I have the same problem also too recently. SC2 starts to lag a bit for unnkown reasons. I guess it's the 10.6.8 update perhaps?

I have my GPU switched to discrete at all times, so it can't be the automatic GPU switching.