Interesting Problem - OSX Graphics Error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by famdav, Oct 2, 2008.

1. famdav macrumors newbie

Booting into OSX today, I realize that there is something amiss.

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/698fa7fdc5b1bb1c596d7f24fa2d8f10.png

Obviously, Itunes is missing the alternating colors for rows EXCEPT where the overlay shadow would be. I note that I am using candybar so if anybody thinks that might be the culprit, feel free to suggest that.

So, any help? This also happens in any application which uses the alternating background, so this is just an example.

Also, for some reason I only get the selection rectangle in Space 1, whereas in all the others it still selects but there is no visual confirmation. Thoughts?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Can't see your image. Not sure I could help even if I could, though I'd say CandyBar is a potential culprit. Kameleon or another theming program might be even more likely a culprit if you're using any of those.

jW

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have the exact same problem on my SR 2.2 Macbook. Brand new out of the box. The alternate shading seemed to come and go and I couldn't work out why. After a while I realized that they were never there on startup, and appeared only after opening Front Row. Does that work for you?

Also, even more interesting is that the shading comes and goes on screenshots too, making it useless as an illustration to those who do not have the problem, because they will see nothing wrong with it. This obviously makes it hard to explain to non sufferers, so I hope this makes sense to others.

I now just open and close front row every time I boot, so it's not really a problem anymore, but it'd be nice to know if there's a permanent fix rather than this workaround.

4. famdav thread starter macrumors newbie

Amazingly enough, that solved it (at least for the short-term).

Anyone have any idea what a better fix might be?

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

By the way, what mac do you have? I'm on a late 2007 Macbook with the GMA X3100 graphics chipset.

6. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i can see the lighe-blue highlited lines in itunes in ur screenshot, probly u cant see them because uve set a very high brightness... but theres something strange indeed, the scrollbar on the right has a back background all around the button.. thats strange

7. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

guys... lol its the brightness. lower ur brightness

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

It's nothing to do with the brightness. As I say in my above post the screenshot is useless because people who don't have the problem will not see anything wrong with it.

I didn't notice the black around the scroll button, strange indeed.

9. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

but since you say that he problem appears in the screenshot too, it means it isnt program related. Maybe indeed its the brightness thats changes for some reason. maybe theres where ur problem is. Just to test, next time it appears, lower the brightness from ur screens settings and not from the mac. (mhm that wont work if its a macbook)

10. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have the brightness on full and I can see them fine, because opening and closing FR sorts it out temporarily. It has nothing to do with the brightness! I know it's not program related because the problem appears on any app with alternate shading like this. I know it's kind of hard to explain as we cannot illustrate the problem with a screenshot as you normaly could with a graphical problem such as this one. The point is, the alternate shading just isn't there whatever the brightness settings.