Interesting Programs For Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bingefeller, Dec 10, 2010.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

So I've been using Macs for quite a while now and I have come to realise that I'm no using the full potential of my Macbook Pro. The most I do with it these days is listen to music and browse the internet. Can anyone recommend me any good programs to check out? I installed Macports and haven't really found anything on there.

I like stuff like IRC, newsgroups and general browsing. I have GUI programs for everything though......

Any ideas or input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Queso macrumors G4

What do you actually do the rest of the time? Give us some subjects to work with regarding your interests.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have kindof a "tinkering" spirit, so I do alot of messing with applescript/shell scripting.

One of my favorite things about owning a Mac, is the fact that I don't have to reinstall a whole bunch of apps just to make it usable. When I was on Windows I had a list of 20-30 apps I installed immediately after a reinstall. With Mac, after installing the only thing I've ever had to install is Handbrake, iWork, Xcode, uTorrent, and a messenger client. Thats it. The built in apps on Mac are great.

However over time I have found alot of really cool apps that I got incremental use from. If you don't know about it, under the apple on the menubar, click on Mac OS X Software, or macupdate.com.

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I like to record music using Garageband and write out some guitar tablature with TuxGuitar. Are there any good audio programs out there that'll let me tinker with Mp3s or something like that?

As I said, I like to read and post on Usenet, for which I use Unison. I also like to chat on IRC using Mac Irssi - I've never checked out any programs like IRC-ii or BitchX.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

dump Safari
    and if it is a MB(P) get BetterTouchTool.
    Only tinkering around sounds a little like time waste.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you want to trim MP3 files without quality loss, look into Fission.

7. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Now this sounds good! Can you get any progs to mask the vocals a little? I know it's not entirely possible to remove vocals entirely but surely you can come close with something? I know how to do it in Audacity but the results aren't great.

8. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hey, if you're after something thats a bit out of the usual I found this last week, uses your mac's motion sensors to turn it into a seismograph.http://www.suitable.com/tools/seismac.html its free, called SeisMac and although it might not be apparently 'useful' I thinks its pretty perfect- interesting to look at and the sort of thing that you start to think up applications for it. Quality!

9. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Kyffin. :)

I was also looking at some other MacPort installations. Got some good games to play around with there.