Interesting Question about compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bfg110, Apr 16, 2008.

1. bfg110 macrumors member

The following are requirements for my new school and their laptop requirements. after the description I will ask my question.

"""""""""Hardware

Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Vista Business / Vista Ultimate compatible laptop/notebook.
    Apple computers with Intel processors running dual boot software or Apple computers running virtual Windows software are subject to software incompatibilities. Some course software is not available in a Mac version. Apple computers are NOT recommended.
    Manufacturer warranty and/or service agreement--
    Purchase the best 2+ year agreement you can afford."""""""""""""

If I run windows through Boot Camp is that still considered virtual? I just do not get how with all these updates a sschool can still say no macs.

What do you all think? Thanks in advance

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Using Boot Camp is running Windows natively. I have no idea why your school doesn't recommend Apple Hardware. Possibly because your it-department are major pussies who as usual don't know what they are doing.

edit: this reminds me about a story about some guy on macrumors.com who is sitting in class with his MacBook Pro and the teacher goes to him and asks him to shut down his Mac because 'their wireless network did not support Macs and would break if Macs joined it'.
    This would have made me want to smash the teacher's head in with a sledgehammer, or possibly a very tiny spoon.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Being in IT I 100% agree! People here dog me for owning a mac because they know nothing about it.

Boot camp running windows will run ANYTHING windows can run. Doesnt matter what anyone tells you they're wrong if they say otherwise. Windows has 100% access to all of the hardware. Now, on the downside, being windows, your windows partition will need antivirus and antispyware because the windows partition is suseptible to attack.

On my windows partition I have games loaded (Orange Box, COD4, Diablo II, etc) and everything plays fine. All my programs work and everything.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have BookCamp installed, with Windows XP Pro and formatted to NTFS. On it, I have 3dStudioMax running, simply because Autodesk refuse to port it's 3D platform to the Mac. I have to say, it's running awesomely (is that a word?) it actually renders faster then my PC desktop!

I'm pretty confident if you was to buy a MacBook or a MacBookPro and run Windows via Bootcamp for all your school work, you'll not be regretting your purchase. And I'm sure many folks here will agree.

5. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Buy the Apple. My school recommended a PC, but every Art and GFX design student here uses Apple

6. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Correct. If you are using Parallels, or VMWare to run Windows, then it is considered to be in a virtual environment. You should be fine running Windows via BootCamp.

7. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Thread ended here.

8. bfg110 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. I already own and didn't want to turn back.